• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RedRump Diet

Birdlover999

Meeting neighbors
Hello I am new to the forum and I just have some questions about my RedRumps diet. So I just got a 7-8 week old Red Rump parakeet. He was hand raised and is the cutest little thing ever! The breeder I got him from feeds his redrumps cockatiel mix, he also gave me some mash recipes that he feeds. I was just wondering how often he should get mash also is there any specific fruits and veggies I should feed and how often?
Any help would be appreciated ! Thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I don't know about the mash, but perhaps you could reach out to the breeder and ask him how often he feeds it?

As for the fruits and vegetables, try to give them a variety. Find out what they like. My birds are kind of new to veggies, but so far I've found out that they enjoy broccoli, cauliflower, and sweet potato, with sweet potato being their favorite. Still trying to figure out what else they will eat. For how often, I try to offer fresh vegetables daily. Fruits are higher in sugar so shouldn't be offered as much (maybe 1-2 times a week?). Here's a list of safe fruits and veggies and it even includes toxic foods: Diet: Safe & Toxic Foods

Sprouted seed is also a great food to try out. It is so much healthier than regular, dry store-bought seed and a lot of birds enjoy it.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I noticed that my Red Rumps don't care for fruits , they absolutely relish green leafy veggies. spinach, kale, clover sprouts, watercress is an all time favorite. I don't feed mash , I make Harrison's birdy bread for my Cockatoos ( give crumbles of birdy bread to the red rumps ) and add veggies rich in beta-carotene , yams or grated carrots, butternut squash. For pellets and seed, I mix Harrisons High Potency Super Fine with Volkman Seed Avian Science Super Parakeet. My birds didn't care for cockatiel mix, Millet sprays for occasional treats (every bird is different). I would ask the breeder how long they recommend feeding mash.