• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Its Been Busy- Sad Update Post #22

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I put a brief post here about my senior cat Christine. She lost so much weight and was simply not eating at all in the last few days. Myself and friend took her to vet for euthanasia as she seemed to want to give up.

Vet found a abscessed tooth! Offered to do the surgery at a reduced price so of course I said yes. It is now post op day 4 and she is doing fair. First night home she was having hallucinations, most likely from all the drugs in her system. She looked like she was seeing things that were not there. At one point she was stalking my laundry hamper as if there was another critter inside it. Next day she was hungry as a wolf. Ate everything that was soft well. Pain med (buprenex) worked well. It is 30 times stronger than morphine so I was giving only 0,1 ml. twice a day. Also a strong antibiotic of ClindaMed. for 10 days in total. Pain med for 5 days. Soft diet for 5 to 10 days as tolerated. Of course the combo of wet food and antibiotics started diarrhea last night. A long haired cat and diarrhea do not mix! Her meower is still weak. So this am to the vet for Flagyl. I was told it will not kick in until tomorrow. She is going through a tough time for an older kitty. Now I am soaking the dry food in water until it is soft and mixing it with a little wet food. Vet told me that may help with the diarrhea too. Please send healing thoughts to Christine! Thanks

@Milo

P1020246.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:omg:What fantastic news! That's the break everyone hopes for. You and Christine as so lucky! I'm thrilled for you. :dance55:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I felt so bad because for many years I have taken care of her teeth and gums with dental pads and a cat tooth brush and special tooth paste. I completely did not see the bad tooth. She must have had so much pain before vet discovered this.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
for many years I have taken care of her teeth and gums with dental pads and a cat tooth brush and special tooth paste.
I'd bet that has something to do with her making it to 16 in the first place. :) I wish more kitties had someone like you taking care of them.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so glad the vet found the reason she wasn't eating.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Is there a reason for the flagyl aside from the diarrhea? It could be from soft foods and antibiotics (which you mentioned), not necessarily infection. Have they looked at a fecal sample to see if the flagyl is needed and not just something like switching antibiotics or adding in something like fortiflora?

Glad to hear that her tooth was taken care of, a rotten tooth is not a fun thing to deal with!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful cat. Great that vet found the issue and that she is doing better.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Flagyl was not previously prescribed. I guess it's what they had in the office. I was not asked for a specimen. Was told if flagyl does not work to bring her back. This is a new vet facility for me. My neighbor recommended them. Good vets and reasonable prices. I will look up fortified. Thanks @Milo

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Glad you didn't have to lose Christine. Have you trimmed her hind-end hair with scissors to help with hygiene? That always helps with my longhairs.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's completely better soon!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
The teeth problem isn't your fault! She's old! Those chompers lasted a long time for a cat. Cats love sweet things and its their downfall. But at 16, I would expect my cat to be missing some teeth. It was because you are an attentive parent you caught it! Yay!!!

She'll feel better soon and will be back to her old self minus one tooth she won't even mind missing. Lots of wishes for you both to have many many more happy years!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Glad Christine is better.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Glad they found what was wrong and could fix it. She sounds like an important member of your family. I almost lost a dog to an infected tooth, a substitute vet misdiagnosed it as bone cancer. Fortunately, my reg vet came back to save her.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So much depends on having a good vet that really cares about your animals and budget! Both are important. Iinitial exam, overnight in the hospital, medications, sub Q fluids and surgery the full charge was only $210. She said I could forgo the blood work charge of $90 if I wanted to and I did do that.

I don't know what happened in the litter box this am but there was litter on the walls, all over the floor and in the shower stall. She was a messy girl. Usually she is not like that. Since that time she is OK. I gave her about 1/2 handful of dry food and she ate it crunch, crunch with ease so I will leave small amounts out for grazing per her usual. So she will be on the meds until the end of the week except for the pain med. This pm dose is the last for that. Anyway it will be all gone.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
$210? wow. If I get my dogs out on the same day it is never less than $850...
The outcome for your cat is sounding good!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have paid about $600 for feline dentistry on another cat in the past.