• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seperate them?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hey everyone, I have a little question:)

I have to wonderfull Indian runner ducks, Pippin and Myn. Myn is a male, Pippin female. This Will be their second hormonal summer. Last year Pippin Made a nest two times(I Made sure the eggs couldn’t hatch, this year I Will replace them with fakes), and sat on it. When they didn’t hatch she left it alone.
But the thing is, Myn wants to mate with her a lot. Right now, he mates with her every day, but last summer he did it multiple times a day. Not when Pippin was sitting on a nest though.
It is not even spring and he is already mating with her every day, should I be concerned? Usually Drakes have multiple females, but he only has Pippin. Maybe I should separate them for Some time? They do like Each other so I would prefer not do, but Myn mates a lot with her. Pippin tries to get away sometimes but gives in eventually. I know it’s normal for them to mate and ducks mating looks pretty painful for the female but I know that is normal too. I am just a bit concerned about the amount of mating. Does anyone know how much mating is normal?

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes you must separate them. Females can die from this.
Also if she stops eating she might need antibiotics; infection is often a result of repeated servicing by the male.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yes you must separate them. Females can die from this.
Also if she stops eating she might need antibiotics; infection is often a result of repeated servicing by the male.
O dear I did not know that at all, I searched for it on the internet but most issues were about two Drakes attacking Each other. Thank you so much!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@finchly do have any idea how long I Will have to seperate them? I guess it depends on the individual and the environment too? I am contemplating what the best way to seperate them would be, if it’s only for a month I Will just put a barrier up(a Solid one so theh don’t see Each other), but I think I Will have to seperate them for at least a few months, last year Myn was more territorial hormonal and this wasn’t so bad.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t know...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Does he pester her too much that she is losing weight and not eating?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I would think that a break of maybe a few hours once or twice a day would give her a break, let her eat and drink unhassled & then they could still be together the rest of the day like they're used to. :shrug2: Hopefully she's on her nest again soon. :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you all so much!:heart: I am going to look into all of it this afternoon, it’s 6 in the morning now and my brain is smashed:lol:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have thought about it today a lot, thank you all for your help!
I am going to ask questions on other forums with duck people first, silly I didn’t think of that!
In the Meanwhile I am going to set a barrier up in their enclosure(really crappy with cardboard:rofl: I Will make a better one soon with wood!), and message Some people who sell Duck Diapers about how long it Will take to ship their products to me.
I think Myn Will remain this hormonal for a pretty long while, so I think I am going to bring Pippin inside with me for Some time. Myn can have all the space for himself then and I can give him more distractions.
Pippin can go outside and visit Myn while I supervise, and she loves being with me and enjoys being inside. She is already used to a harness, and a diaper while she is out shouldn’t bother her too much. I have a big dog crate stored with my father, it belonged to our husky and isn’t used anymore. When I am away she Will have to be inside that, but I think she Will adapt her sleep times to that quickly(my girl loves to nap!), and I can give her a few toys and a bit of foraging there too.
So I think I have a plan! I Will have to make sure there are no small things that can fall into her crate, I Will cover it on three sides and the top, and swipe all other things up when I let her out. But overall, I think it’s possible and Pippin Will actually enjoy her time inside, she loves playing with Some bigger bird toys when she is inside. I am so glad I haven’t Made their new playstand yet, I wouldn’t have any space for her crate if I did!