• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this preening toy okay?

❤ Rosette ❤

Meeting neighbors
Hello. I recently bought this toy for Maui; he is an over-preener and likes to snip off his feathers just above the down-part so his stomach is just gray and very fluffy. He loves to chew on fabric so I bought this toy for him - I found it at our local bird fair for only $4.00! - but after buying it I realized it could be a potential strangling hazard.
Should I give it to him? Is it dangerous?​

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You would want to check that toy frequently and trim any strings. In fact I would trim all the ends right now if I were you but if you want to be safe you might be better off with a different preener.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think if you hang it very low so that it touches the floor of the cage, it should be ok. Or you could hang it on the outside of the cage, but positioned low like I mentioned. I have a toy hung that way for Snuggles.

If you think he may try to cuddle it, definately put it on the outside.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My budgies have this and love it. We haven’t had any issues here but they’re very gentle in their ropes. They love to snuggle together in and around it and it’s been a great toy for them.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
You could always take it apart and make a ton of smaller preening toys with it.

Or only put it out when you are home, take out at night and while you’re away/at work/school

❤ Rosette ❤

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the input, guys! As of right now I've removed it from his cage until I find a proper solution. I'm sure I can make use of it still, without risking Maui getting hurt!