• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check out the craftsmanship

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Yeah, JJ is a builder at heart and Baby Blue is trying but isn't nearly as successful. Loofa and Daisy will weave every now and then but not with the same enthusiasm. So I try to keep any used millet sprigs, or dried grass leaves from indoor plants for JJ and Baby to pick up and build with.

JJ's bad because he'll steal the tiels full millet sprigs and end up with not only a built nest but a fully stocked larder for himself too!

This is what one of the huts looks like before the weaving starts

View attachment 246658

Baby's working on his ...
Birds did that? They weave better than I can.
(Somewhat into the textile arts, incase the screen name wasn't a tip-off.)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
:lol:

My dad just said, the other day, "Where are my glasses? I need my glasses to find my glasses!" :hilarious:

I can't find my glasses without them. That is why I try to always put them in the same place. Plus I have a spare that stays in the medicine cabinet.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I can't find my glasses without them. That is why I try to always put them in the same place. Plus I have a spare that stays in the medicine cabinet.
I dozed off with my spare reading glasses on my knee ... do I have to explain how they ended up in JJ's cage while I was asleep? :bash: :wideyed:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Thats amazing work! Wally doesnt really do that -- maybe its because shes female? Instead, I have small, short balsa planks I stick in her sea grass mat and she takes them down and hides them behind a toy I have on the bottom of her cage, in a corner.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
This weaving is actually why they are banned in some states.

In large colonies they build their nests on electrical wires and such... When they get too big...snap.

Lol
Transformers which then catch fire too! At least that's what happens along the East Coast. They also like building nests in the stadium type lighting around parks and ballfields.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's an obsession lately! Check out the progress in the past week

20180222_214626.jpg
20180222_214642.jpg

I'm not sure how long I should let this continue? I think it makes him more hormonal. Or maybe he's just hormonal, period, even without the weaving.

I just don't know if it's a good or bad thing to let a (indoor pet) Quaker build a nest like this? It's such an obsession it goes from when he wake up until when he sleeps and he's not eating as much as he usually does.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! That's impressive!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
All I see is an industrious little bird doing what nature built him to do. And doing a fine job I might add.

Would you rather he stuck to your shoulder like glue and chewed your ear?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Wow! That's impressive!
All I see is an industrious little bird doing what nature built him to do. And doing a fine job I might add.

Would you rather he stuck to your shoulder like glue and chewed your ear?

He would be so thrilled to know you guys are impressed! I will tell him. :birdance: Thank you so much!

I was wondering if it's maybe a problem (mentally) because I wonder if he considers it a nest, and then might be frustrated when no babies ever appear?

On a side note- I must not be his wife because I'm not allowed in the back room. :hilarious:

The "nest" area makes him more lungey and mean. Then when he does come on my shoulder he's been more mean and bitey lately. Almost always puffed up and ready to chomp me. And it's not like I invited him on my shoulder. He voluntarily flies over just to be a jerk.

I was also a tiny bit concerned that he's not eating that much. But not too too concerned cause he does eat, and he still poops.

I do like that he's not on me constantly though. It's just...different.

Thanks for your input!!!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
It looks like he is putting those hormones to good use. I would be afraid that stopping him might make him frustrated and mean!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It's an obsession lately! Check out the progress in the past week

View attachment 270382
View attachment 270383

I'm not sure how long I should let this continue? I think it makes him more hormonal. Or maybe he's just hormonal, period, even without the weaving.

I just don't know if it's a good or bad thing to let a (indoor pet) Quaker build a nest like this? It's such an obsession it goes from when he wake up until when he sleeps and he's not eating as much as he usually does.
I look at it as something that is natural for Quakers to do, so it's in their genes, and keeping him busy in a good way. Better he be busy and productive than bored and frustrated (and doing something he's not supposed to).

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It looks like he is putting those hormones to good use. I would be afraid that stopping him might make him frustrated and mean!
Thank you! I was thinking backwards, lol.

I look at it as something that is natural for Quakers to do, so it's in their genes, and keeping him busy in a good way. Better he be busy and productive than bored and frustrated (and doing something he's not supposed to).
Makes total sense, thank you!!

He was actually super sweet to me this morning for about an hour. Now he's back to the construction site and I feel so much better knowing it's good for him. Thanks everyone!!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I meant to say I think I was thinking backwards cause I always hear how you should remove nesting sites from hormonal birds. But as long as he won't lay an egg, I think I'm okay:p