• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

oh what the heck have we done... double the blue trouble...

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

It is not entirely finalized and legal, but Titan is in the house...

Titan is from AHW.... him and Victoria (@riddick07 ) have been imprinting on each other for a few months now. There were some bumps in the road with the adoption, but Titan arrived today and hopefully Victoria will be finalizing the paperwork and such on Sunday :)

Max has handled all this exceptionally well, was expecting a bit more anxiety, aggression, protective behavior or jealous spoiled baby temper tantrum behavior! But we've all been really surprised at his mostly lack of interest in Titan, tho they were on the sofa fairly close and both were responding to music and dancing a bit (tho the one video that showed both of them dancing well had some language in it that I could not post :), but sharing what is safe!!

So it looks like double the blue trouble... and mess... and goofy antics.... good thing I already never put the vacuum away!

max titan.jpg titan stance.jpg

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Oh my goodness too much double trouble fun, too sweet!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Double beautiful blue trouble. Looks like they are doing remarkably well for first time meeting !

We are really very very (and pleasantly) surprised... there has only been another macaw in our home about 3 years ago when we were doing the adoption visits for a couple at my home. They lived closer to me than the shelter, so on Tuesdays Jeanne (owner at AHW) would drive to my home with Johan and the adopters would meet us here. I would make dinner for everyone and we would work with the adopters with Johan and a unique reality experience of life with a macaw in the home :) But, Max had only been with us just over a year and still had a pretty high level of anxiety and separation issues with me. When he saw Johan he literally screamed his full head off, and really went nuts if I touched or showed any attention to Johan. That kinda lead us to just presume we would always be a one macaw home.

So Max's behavior today has been awesome, he did not make a peep when Victoria pulled Titan out of the carrier. Jeanne hung out with us for most of the day and we went out and grabbed carryout for lunch, we all had lunch together with Max on a chair on one side and Titan on the other. Neither paid any attention to the other and ate like it was an everyday event. I'm not handling Titan or doing much with him at all outside of talking to him, handing treats or toys. But I still think a major factor in all this that Max is so much more confident, relaxed and secure in the home and his place in the flock.

I really am thrilled it has gone so well... it was a major decision to give this a try, we all made the commitment that we would find a way to make things work, we do have the space and such in our home to have separate areas for them. Titan is definitely Victoria's Max, so knew in my heart we would find a way to make it work... much as I joke what a rotten brat she is and that she will never leave home, I knew I'd never forgive myself if I denied her the opportunity to have a 'Max' bird ;)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I still think a major factor in all this that Max is so much more confident, relaxed and secure in the home and his place in the flock.
:yes3: :heart:
(how the heck do we not have a "happy tears" emoji?)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my! Beautiful! So glad she is enjoying her first days there... AND....... a big ...
:congrats:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

We are really very very (and pleasantly) surprised... there has only been another macaw in our home about 3 years ago when we were doing the adoption visits for a couple at my home. They lived closer to me than the shelter, so on Tuesdays Jeanne (owner at AHW) would drive to my home with Johan and the adopters would meet us here. I would make dinner for everyone and we would work with the adopters with Johan and a unique reality experience of life with a macaw in the home :) But, Max had only been with us just over a year and still had a pretty high level of anxiety and separation issues with me. When he saw Johan he literally screamed his full head off, and really went nuts if I touched or showed any attention to Johan. That kinda lead us to just presume we would always be a one macaw home.

So Max's behavior today has been awesome, he did not make a peep when Victoria pulled Titan out of the carrier. Jeanne hung out with us for most of the day and we went out and grabbed carryout for lunch, we all had lunch together with Max on a chair on one side and Titan on the other. Neither paid any attention to the other and ate like it was an everyday event. I'm not handling Titan or doing much with him at all outside of talking to him, handing treats or toys. But I still think a major factor in all this that Max is so much more confident, relaxed and secure in the home and his place in the flock.

I really am thrilled it has gone so well... it was a major decision to give this a try, we all made the commitment that we would find a way to make things work, we do have the space and such in our home to have separate areas for them. Titan is definitely Victoria's Max, so knew in my heart we would find a way to make it work... much as I joke what a rotten brat she is and that she will never leave home, I knew I'd never forgive myself if I denied her the opportunity to have a 'Max' bird ;)

All is well on many levels within your household and flock environment!:xflove: you do good :heart:

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:yes3: :heart:
(how the heck do we not have a "happy tears" emoji?)

You are totally correct!! Should we put in our formal request for a happy tears emoji?? And on my side doesn't have to be a oink elephant....

But here will be one if Max and Titan become buddies and decide to hide out in the tunnels together.... Tor laughed, who's gonna stick their hand in to get them out!! I am the only one who can grab Max (I scoop him up one hand under the belly or around the body like a chicken- my vet laughed when he wouldn't step on the perch scale, so I picked him up like a chicken or football and set both feet on the perch, she couldn't stop laughing).....

But this will be the moment they decide te8 beaks together will get away with m8re trouble together.. .
:toofunny:

Oh my! Beautiful! So glad she is enjoying her first days there... AND....... a big ...
:congrats:

:sadhug2:

Both are males... Thankfully !

All is well on many levels within your household and flock environment!:xflove: you do good :heart:

Thank you :hug2: we have a pretty solid and close flock - birds too :giggle:

:winnerdance:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sure you know these things Jen but when they are interacting, try to keep your distance. They will have a different relationship if you step in between them. Don't make Max choose who he has to defend if he goes that route. Bonded pairs are not bad if you follow the rules. You cater to one and the other follows. I've never had trouble with them still being hands on with me even with a partner.

They will be great together, friends or not.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Doesn't your daughter have an Amazon?

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm sure you know these things Jen but when they are interacting, try to keep your distance. They will have a different relationship if you step in between them. Don't make Max choose who he has to defend if he goes that route. Bonded pairs are not bad if you follow the rules. You cater to one and the other follows. I've never had trouble with them still being hands on with me even with a partner.

They will be great together, friends or not.

Thank You! Have the advice and knowledge in my head with working with adopters, but not the hands on reality.... much like everything life, try to remind myself the logic I know as a sensible intelligent person..... but now have to put that into play as the momma of a beloved and spoiled baby boy Max....

I may know what to do, but might need friends like you to remind me to handle things logically and not emotionally! Literally the advice I give adopters, now I just need to live by that when it's Max in the equation!! So please feel free at any time to remind me I know better or to stop being an over protective momma bird!!

Figure we are a couple days at least away from this emotional challenge for me
:jawdrop1: :backout::scared3::scared4::scared1:

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Doesn't your daughter have an Amazon?

Yep, the evil green turkey buzzard we call Kelly :blahblah:

Kelly and Titan have met at the shelter.... he goes to work with Tor often and before she opened her mouth to say she wanted to adopt Titan, she hung out with them to be sure no one came off a stand or across a table to kill the other.

Like many parrots, Kelly didn't care about a macaw - different species, but he did show aggression and behavior problems with other Amazons that like Tori.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
but now have to put that into play as the momma of a beloved and spoiled baby boy Max....

It's HARD!!! On one hand you want to hover in case there is a fight ... on the other you have to believe there are things going on that you can't see.

Example. While cleaning cages I can see through the windows at work and watch the flock a room away. Maui would sit on the atom with Tiko and they would have no issues with each other at all. The moment I would walk near them they would start to go at each other, their attachment to me changed the relationship between them.

I could give an example of almost every bird here like that. Remember what happens this week with them WILL set the tone for the next year. Buddies or not no worries but it is a beautiful thing to watch two birds get along and be friends. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Now you really need that caterpillar...couch has got to go.

But so glad things are going well. I love when they have a buddy.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Now you really need that caterpillar...couch has got to go.

But so glad things are going well. I love when they have a buddy.

I forgot about that caterpillar!! Oh god, didn't even think how quickly 2 macaws will destroy the tunnel.... I need to buy stock!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How wonderful! :)