• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Archie the Marksman

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ok...so I'm wondering if any of you guys have had a similar experience, and how you've handled it.
With the birds all down in "My Nest", which has beautiful laminate floors (thank goodness, no carpet!) I've been diligent about keeping on top of the poo/feather mess situation, which just spreads around SO much faster on a hard floor! On top of sweeping and utilizing a shop vac, I've taken to placing newspaper around cages and under areas of "high poop traffic" IE beneath favorite roosting spots on the net, beneath the orbits, etc. Clean up is a breeze when all one has to do is throw away the old paper, sweep and vacuum up the feather/dust mess, and run swiffer sprayed with a water/vinegar/lemon oil blend to "freshen up" the floor and catch any residual flecks. Most of my birds seem to respect this system, and it works beautifully with them!

Most of them. But not Archie.

Now, I've posted before about how Archie rarely poops in his cage. He prefers to poop in his water bowl if he MUST go in his cage (and now his food bowl- but just on the rim, he likes to make sure it requires me to scrub more than just the bowl to clean up his mess) and takes a sadistic delight in LAUNCHING his poo through the bars of his cage while he clings to the side. And yes, I've tried adding perches to his favorite launching locations, with little treats to try and entice him to poop at least semi-vertically and in a manner that would be contained within the cage, but to no avail.

It's almost as though he finds joy in seeing how far he can get his poo out of his cage. I kid you not, I keep trying to catch it on video- he climbs to the side of his cage, will amp himself up, lean back and EJECT a poo that arcs through the air and then will eyeball where it lands. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Why doesn't she just put newspaper where his favorite launching spot is?" And trust me, I was quite pleased with myself when I did this initially and, for 2 weeks, it worked beautifully. Poop out of your cage all you want Archie! A quick steam of your cage bars is NOTHING compared to trying to scrub dried poo off of laminate.

But, he must have sensed my contentment with this arrangement. And maybe, the sound of his poo splatting against the paper just isn't as satisfying as when it splats against the floor directly. Whatever the reason, now a new game has emerged- see if he can poo outside of his cage, and NOT hit the paper. Sometimes it's a complete miss and I come down to My Nest (also my office) and am horrified to see several, well-placed poo's that have completely avoided the pieces of paper I've set around his cage. Not always, I can see where he's missed his mark, but considering he literally has to put an ARC on it to hit the spot in front of the cage wheels, where the papers beneath his cage can't reach...I know it's intentional. And I'm not entirely sure if I'm more impressed, or aggravated. I mean, it must take some serious talent.

Anyone else have expert marksman poo-ers? :lol:

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
:laughing4:This may be the funniest post I have read!! I do not have an archer and I can only think of no reaction, don’t let him see you clean, and positive reinforcement for well placed poops. Would he pick up on if you reinforced the others for well placed poops?
Louise has her new annoying trick, she can spot a bra strap and bite it clean through-cutting the strap into 2 unconnected pieces. Putting a towel on my shoulder only makes her dig deeper for her target.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hehe:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:loltears::laughing7::loltears:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton loves to play the "poop on the paper-or not" game. It takes two full pages of newspaper,open wide, spread in front of his cage, to cover the area in front of his cage.
Milty loves to wait until I spread the first pages (three pages thick) and poop where the OTHER section will be... next to the covered section,and on the unprotected floor! I now have to spread the papers BEFORE opening his cage in the morning, which bothers him very much.

The other story about Milty and pooping. A few years ago, he was bothering me while I was doing something in his room. I put him back on his cage...so he went, on purpose, to the side of the cage unprotected by newspapers and pooped. When I asked him if he was done, he looked at me, went BACK to the unprotected side of the cage, and pooped again!

Milty likes to use poop as a human training substance...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:coffeescreen: I so hate to laugh at your expense… but that was pretty funny! I don't even have to try to visualize all the paper you put down.. it's the same here! Bob… the black capped conure AKA Whoflungpoo… is also an expert at flinging and the occasional fly through when he gets spooked leaves me looking through his flight path for the ejected poo bomb he does in flight… :sour:. Rocket, on the other hand … has placed some (convinced intentional) bombs on the back of my head when I lean over to pick paper up… :shifty::cautious::arghh:...

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Louise has her new annoying trick, she can spot a bra strap and bite it clean through-cutting the strap into 2 unconnected pieces. Putting a towel on my shoulder only makes her dig deeper for her target.
Archie is also NOTORIOUS for chewing at bra straps/shoulder seams. Thankfully his beak isn't strong enough to snip them in half. But I, like many AA'ers, have designated bird shirts that make me look like in desperate straits. More holes in them than material to cover me :lol:

Milton loves to play the "poop on the paper-or not" game. It takes two full pages of newspaper,open wide, spread in front of his cage, to cover the area in front of his cage.
Milty loves to wait until I spread the first pages (three pages thick) and poop where the OTHER section will be... next to the covered section,and on the unprotected floor! I now have to spread the papers BEFORE opening his cage in the morning, which bothers him very much.

The other story about Milty and pooping. A few years ago, he was bothering me while I was doing something in his room. I put him back on his cage...so he went, on purpose, to the side of the cage unprotected by newspapers and pooped. When I asked him if he was done, he looked at me, went BACK to the unprotected side of the cage, and pooped again!

Milty likes to use poop as a human training substance...
I SWEAR that's what this is! I must do some egregious offense on the daily and that bird hoards his insulted pride and unleashes it in the form of intentionally-placed feces :D

Rocket, on the other hand … has placed some (convinced intentional) bombs on the back of my head when I lean over to pick paper up… :shifty::cautious::arghh:...
Oh. That's intentional. That's definitely intentional. What a little TURD! :D

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Archie is also NOTORIOUS for chewing at bra straps/shoulder seams. Thankfully his beak isn't strong enough to snip them in half. But I, like many AA'ers, have designated bird shirts that make me look like in desperate straits. More holes in them than material to cover me :lol:

I SWEAR that's what this is! I must do some egregious offense on the daily and that bird hoards his insulted pride and unleashes it in the form of intentionally-placed feces :D

Oh. That's intentional. That's definitely intentional. What a little TURD! :D

Oh yes…yes it was… a little TURD on the back of my head!!!! When I let Rocket and Astro out he invades her space. If I don't unlock the fold down door he does with a bang. He loves to sit there on the look out ( probably for my head :banghead:). Invades her food, her toys and oddly, for years now he has done this. He doesn't touch her and she doesn't touch him … she avoids him after all these years. They share the fresh food I give them every day. If she wants to touch my face he will scurry over and get between us so she will move away. Sure would be nice if they preened each other and on the other hand I'm happy he isn't attracted to her. I have known for one person to breed the crimson belly with a green cheek down in Georgia so I do know they will bond. Not in this case between my two and I'm glad they can keep company daily when they are out but Astro is having NOTHING to do with Rocket… CB's are pushy little guys!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:loltears::laughing7::laughing6:

Thanks for the laugh
I have a similar room and like you I put papers around. Some days I think about just papering it all -- walls, floor, the works. Like decoupage only for bird rooms. Perhaps I will patent that.

Anyway fortunately none of mine are target poopers YET but I am sure someone will think of it.

Archie is also NOTORIOUS for chewing at bra straps/shoulder seams.
We didn't have this problem until yesterday. I had 3 sets of workers in and out. I was wearing a shirt 3 sizes too big but no matter, I was wearing a nice black sports bra. So it didn't matter that the straps were exposed, right? Last night when I went to change, Rio had chewed the straps. I looked like a ragamuffin all day. :pinksmile:

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Bird shirts, the holy apparel of parronts. I hope I never need a bird hat (@Mockinbirdiva ) and I never dreamed that bird bra's would be necessary. I am glad that I don't have purposeful pooper-and I am not letting Louise read this post or I will have one!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Dobby has discovered how much fun it is to gently grab and nibble sisters ear as he plops on her to ride around. I think he likes the complaining and noises she makes.
He also loves to roost over his water bowl and poop in it but pretty sure it's just a comfy spot and he just goes when he needs to. I have since moved the bowls so he can sit there with out fouling the water and food. His cage lives on the non used vinyl entry way for the front door. Easier to clean then the carpet. We used to use the clear vinyl office floor protectors on the favorite spots at the old house.