• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Thighed Caiques

Kaia’s Mom

Moving in
Hello fellow bird lovers,

I am new to this forum and loving the wealth of information everyone has to offer. My question is, does anyone know any breeders of green thighed caiques in the US? Thanks!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I don't but just wanted to say welcome.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not sure there are many breeders in the US that are going to even know the difference between a green thigh and a white belly. (You'd think it would be easy lol) Most of the subspecies available get muddied up. Look at green cheeks for example; there are several subspecies but I don't think there is even a handful breeding along subspecies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
:blink: I didn't even know that was a thing until I read this post and googled it. Learn something new everyday!

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Rita Garis (YouTube) used to have some lime thighed caiques but they usually breed in the spring. The Animal Company in San Francisco has a lot of caiques they get from breeders.

The Animal Company

I warn you though, the breeder may clip the wings before you say anything so make sure you say you want an unclipped bird if that is what you would like so they don't do it before the poor bird hits that store. The owners are nice and they may help but we're in California and I don't know if they ship or not.

Hope that helps.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I think they are easier to find in the UK and Europe. Here in the US it is just the white belly and black cap/

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Gizmo and Mika -- 11 week old Lime Thighed Caique Parrots | 3 | Pinterest

It looks like Rita Garris (sp?) does breed lime thighed caiques but again, it's whether her breeders are done or not or whether she has any at this time. Usually you put your name on a list and a down payment for the next batch. Have you thought of adopting? Adopting one sometimes has the advantage of them already knowing how to stop up and down. Not all breeders are the same and an untamed caique is not something I would want to have!

Anyway, good luck on your search!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Nancy Speed of the PPatch might still be breeding them, not sure. She could just be focusing on queens now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I saw some for sale a few months ago when I was searching for a caique friend for Rio, so they’re out there.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. I saw some for sale a month or two ago but I don't remember where. If I find that ad/breeder again I will post the information.

Kaia’s Mom

Moving in
@Mizzely Couldnt agree with you more!
@Archiesmom Happy to share some knowledge. This is why I like this forum. I learn quite a bit myself.
@Familyof12 I’ve heard about Rita Garris. I have a pair of lime thigh already. Was looking for purebred green thigh. Thanks for the info! I will definitely look into it.
@javi Yes! I have come across them but like you said they are mostly outside the US.
@aooratrix My pair of lime thighs are actually from Nancy Speed’s stock. She sold her entire stock to the breeder I got them from. I guess she’s focusing on other breeds.
Thanks!
@finchly Thank you!

Melisa

Kaia’s Mom

Moving in
@iamwhoiam Thank you! I appreciate it. Keep in mind that I’m looking for green thigh not lime thigh. I have a pair of lime thighs.

Melisa

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you contacted Gloria Balaban at Shady Pines Aviary? That wasn't the ad I saw but perhaps she has some or has a resource. BTW, post some photos of your Caiques when you get a chance? What are their names and how old?

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I agree with @alshgs Rita Garris seems to handle the birds so they step up and down and shows videos of them growing so you can see your bird on youtube before you even get him/her. I believe she just hatched five caiques recently. I think they are so cute!!!