• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help! Book fell on my bird! Strange things are happening!

MartinAndIndigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
So my parakeet (who can't fly and isn't a year old) who somehow managed to get out of her cage, and onto the ground, while my other bird pushed a book off the shelf. The book fell on her, and she ran, although she shed alot of feathers! Now there's a hole where the feathers were, and 3 main tail feathers were pulled out. There was no bleeding, but now there is a twisted tail feather (Her last main one). Help! Should I pull it out? Or should I let her be!

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I can send a picture, if it helps :(
That would be great! I mean what size book are we talking, a dictionary or a small paperback? Is the bird breathing strange, falling over, walking strange, not eating or drinking?

MartinAndIndigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
I would say that the book isn't a dictionary, but it's not a small paperback. The book is paperback, and about 249 pages. She's breathing fine, eating, walks fine, but she does now prefer to stand on one leg. A photo of her will be following shortly after this message.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I would say to NOT pull the tail feather out. Let her rest awhile, she may be hurt. No need to traumatize her further. I'm so sorry!

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I agree with orphansparrow, I wouldn't pull out the feather. It will probably fall out on its own if damaged in the root. I hope the poor baby will be ok

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies are fragile little birds. Please observe this bird closely and have a vet check her if she is not acting normal in the am.

Last edited:

MartinAndIndigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
I've noticed a patch of feathers that are missing from her skin.
When she preens herself, she seem to avoid that area, and she begins to spend less then a second on that spot.
Is that from pain or...?

Linked Below

help part 2 - Google Drawings

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
If the spot is bare because the book hit her there I'm sure it's sore

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Let her rest. She just underwent a severe trauma (for us it would be akin to a car falling us partially and getting away with some bruises but maybe some internal injuries but we don't know." Keep her quiet and watch her to see if her movements are strange or if she still favors one leg. It may be her legs sprained or even broken if she's not using it.

Budgies are so fragile. They can break their beaks off just hitting a window. If a book landed on her and she got away without severe damage, let's all count ourselves lucky we have one lucky birdie with fast reflexes! I would prefer if you had her checked out by a vet to make sure but if you can't afford it, please watch over her and make sure she is okay. I want to hear she is doing great!

MartinAndIndigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
Thank you guys so much! Unfortunately, all the vets near my area are closed due to natural disasters recently. Thank you so much for the support! It appears that due to the book and the area, all her tail feathers are gone :( Although I do think they'll grow back, and her spine was examined by my neighbor (Who owns many birds, and is practically a bird expert) If anything else happens, I'll be back! Thank you!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your bird was hurt. Just monitor her closely and let her rest.

MartinAndIndigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
Also another thing I've noticed is, on the bald spot on the other picture above, you can tell the skin is irritated. It kinda looks like when you fall onto the concrete, the skin is blochy and red, while I examined the other parts of her skin under the feathers (which is pink). Help? (There wasn't any bleeding, as far as I could tell).

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
She's bruised. She may have some internal bleeding. Birds have super hollow bones and it doesn't take a lot for any one of my parrotlets or lovebird to take a toe off each other with a beak! Only my caique could take a finger if he wanted to but the dude cracks almonds like they're m&m's. I would take her in. If you are this worried please just see what you can do. Even if you can email the same photos to the nearest avian vet. It sure would make me feel a whole lot better too.

MartinAndIndigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
Oh my goodness! I never knew she was hurt so badly, I'm trying to contact some avian vets, but most of them are closed down. Thank you so much for telling me this. I really couldn't thank you guys enough. Thank you so much, you'll never know how in debt I am.

MartinAndIndigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
We're going to the vet tomorrow, she pulled out the tail feather

~ Christina

Thanks for your support! I will keep you posted.