• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vacuuming near eggs

SixCaiques

Sitting on the front steps
I have heard but have yet to confirm that the use of a vacuum cleaner should be avoided in the presence of fertile eggs. Can anybody verify the validity of this?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think it just depends on your birds. If the parents are upset/scared of the vacuum and you think they might be likely to jump into the nestbox to hide and step on the eggs, then you should try not to vacuum around them. If they don't really mind the vacuum, then it should be ok.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Would it be possible to block off the entrance to the nest box temporarily (like with a thick piece of cardboard) while you clean? Rupert is a little afraid of the vacuum but Sherbie thinks it's exciting, so her happy noises put him more at ease. I try to make it a "let's all be noisy" time and mimic their flock calls and make silly noises with them. Makes it less stressful.

SixCaiques

Sitting on the front steps
I know my Amazons use the vacuum noise as a sort of Barry White kinda thing... weird but whatever floats their boat. My main concern was for the embryos themselves. We do have a couple of birds that aren’t fond of the noise and scream but most of our crew were raised around the noise of vacuuming.
My main concern being, is the noise harmful or deadly to embryos!

ThePeepingEgg

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
@SixCaiques
Hey there - I have experience hatching chicken eggs (lots of them) and I have yet to have failed hatches due to the noise vacuuming (or any other noise for that matter). BUT, a study has been done and here is the link:
Effect of prenatal chronic noise exposure on the growth and development of body and brain of chick embryo

I hope this helps!
@SixCaiques I meant to add that this was done on chicken eggs BUT I would imagine that noise would have similar effects on other bird embryos. My feeling is that if the vacuuming is done rather "gently" (the ability to bring the noise of the vacuum closer gradually and doing it for a short period of time) is probably much less harmful than a sudden, equally loud sound that is unpredictable. I have not noticed any negative effects in chickens that I've vacuumed around while they were still in eggs (and I vacuum quite often lol). Many of the chickens I've hatched and sold, I am able to see as adults as I get updates from the people who bought my chicks :) None of them seem to have suffered due to my vacuuming efforts. No deaf chicks/chickens, no noticeable behavior changes, no noticeable impact on growth or anything else. I hope my 2 cents have helped point you in the right direction :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you are concerned about the noise there are other ways of cleaning that are quiet. Are your birds used to the sound?

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
As a breeder, I need to vacuum every single day, and during breeding time it has to be done twice a day. If I don't, it looks like a "budgie bomb" went off in the bird room. lol SO much mess !

I've never had any issues with vacuuming around laying hens, or incubating hens or hatching eggs.