• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg laying help

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
I just recently joined, after mich lurking. I have posted in Welcome Lane my two female conures.

Clover (10yr pearly conure) and Olive (7yr gcc) recently decided they are bonded. They have been caged together for years and always got along, but not 'in that way'. I would say i was Clover's person and Olive and i had an understanding. I could handle them both, though Olive took more time to train the biting out of, and Clover was 'my bird'. She just was more into me than Olive, who always hung back and waited her turn.

As of two weeks ago, Cliver and Olive have bonded. I noticed the regurgitating and extra cooing noises about then. Then there was an egg! I gave it a day and a half and never noticed anyone sitting on it, so I tossed it and hoped...

Now it has been egg after egg. There are 10 in their cage, both have appeared 'pregnant' with them and both sit on them. I had read that they may make more if you take the eggs away, so I haven't removed more.

Both girls love their eggs, but i can still clean their cage, handle the girls, and handle the eggs. I have no behavior issues with them beyond trying to get them to stop laying!

They are 'different' than before, in that Olive now is as outfoingtas Clover has always been. She takes treats without waiting for her turn after Clover, will 'step up' without waiting, etc. They act like equals now instead of having a hierarchy.

It is winter here... Very cold and shortened days of light. I cover their cage in the evening through until morning, they get 12-14 hours of darkness. It is in no way the right time of year for nests. I added a mineral block (they have yet to try it) and they eat well. Staple diet is Zupreem pellets (3 types mixed) and Lafeber Nutriberries for foraging (4 types).

How do i get them to stop laying? How long can i leave the eggs?

Thank you!

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
To add (I am mobile at the moment, sorry if there is an 'edit' button I missed)...

Clover has plucked her chest and stomach area, Olive has not. I am not worried about her making a habit of it, but thought it would add to the situation.

I know it is hard on them to lay, I just want them to relax.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Is the plucking a new thing, or is it something that's been going on for some time?

You can purchase dummy eggs (I believe if you google dummy eggs the website will pop right up). Instructions are on the site, but generally you give them lots of fake eggs and hope that they don't feel the need to lay any more. They may not incubate them if they're first timers. When they get bored of them (could be several weeks) then you can toss the laid eggs.

Birds don't take much to lay, and it is the season actually. Both of my birds have been hormonal for a while, but it's strengthened in the last week.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I read somewhere that mothers will pluck their tummy so more warmth gets to the eggs. Anyone know if that's true?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Sherbie plucks near her vent before laying eggs. She uses shredded paper, palm, or corn husk to build her nest.

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
Is the plucking a new thing, or is it something that's been going on for some time?

You can purchase dummy eggs (I believe if you google dummy eggs the website will pop right up). Instructions are on the site, but generally you give them lots of fake eggs and hope that they don't feel the need to lay any more. They may not incubate them if they're first timers. When they get bored of them (could be several weeks) then you can toss the laid eggs.

Birds don't take much to lay, and it is the season actually. Both of my birds have been hormonal for a while, but it's strengthened in the last week.
I read somewhere that mothers will pluck their tummy so more warmth gets to the eggs. Anyone know if that's true?
The plucking started the day before the first egg was laid, never been an issue before. I assumed it was for nesting, too.

Would i need 10 dummy eggs? I did look into them, but they are not cheap! :p

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
Sherbie plucks near her vent before laying eggs. She uses shredded paper, palm, or corn husk to build her nest.
The girls never shredded much until a couple weeks prior to laying. But they haven't made much of a nest.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
You'd probably need the standard amount for each bird.

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
I went to incubatorwarehouse and bought 10 small ceramic eggs and got the 3-day shipping. Was much cheaper than other fake eggs for sale. They may be complete crap, but i will post about them when they arrive. Nobody should have to spend $70-100 on fake eggs. :p

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
There are now 11. Meaning they have had 12 total. :shocked2::shocked2:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
The fake eggs arrive today. I will mark real eggs and take out some, since i have 10 fake and they have 12 real. Was thinking of leaving 4 real eggs for now.

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE:

Things have mostly returned to 'normal' for the girls. They are less worried about their eggs (which are all fake, I stuck with the original 10). Only Clover sits with them at night, while Olive resumed perching nearby. They used to sleep in a tent, but I don't think Olive wants to be on the opposite side of the cage from Clover, so she has been staying out. Clover has laid a few more eggs, one every few days since swapping to falsies. She is a little moody around the new egg, but then is fine once it is removed. Her chest is almost fully grown back in from her nest-plucking and I hope that she grows bored of the eggs soon, too.

I may remove the fake eggs soon, too, but am not certain yet that it is the right time; I want to see Clover get bored first. I think we are on the right track, though, and should be totally normalized again eventually.

Will be curious to see if they end up going through this again when the seasons actually warm up. :chin:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I may remove the fake eggs soon, too, but am not certain yet that it is the right time; I want to see Clover get bored first. I think we are on the right track, though, and should be totally normalized again eventually.
Don't take them away until they completely ignore those eggs for a number of days. Then take them away.

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
Okay! Thank you for the advice.

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE:

Not much has changed. Olive gave up for a short time, and was perching at night while Clover sat with fake eggs and laid one or two. The girls have continued to lay again, slowly. There are 9 of their own eggs in the habitat now, and the 10 fake ones. They sit on both, though I know they can tell the difference a bit and prefer their own (the fake ones, remember, are a bit too big). Both girls sit on the eggs at night again, and seem to swell with eggs and lay. *Rolls eyes* They eat well still, will eat calcium and fruits/veggies no problem, and generally seem healthy and happy. Just still not bored of trying to make a family!

Hesh

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE:

Through the warmer months, the girls took the fake eggs and lightened up about laying. Now that we are in winter again, Olive has been laying eggs. She is up to 7 this season with 4 still in the cage (tossed the first one, and she pecked the second two, but is sitting on these 4 and a couple fake eggs).

I am not sure what to expect. Maybe after this season, and them both trying to be lead mama, they will quit next season. Or they will keep taking turns for the rest of their lives, favoring winter over spring or summer!