• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Flight.. is it frowned upon?

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I am happy for those who can do this! How wonderful for the birds. Odin and the gang for now fly around the house.

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Gratifying to receive from my friends in Taiwan this morning. About every month or so I did get something like that. What I started with Tinkerbell in Taiwan in early 2000s (and btw, I was with her for a few weeks last year ) went on to greater heights.
Words are cheap. Actions matter a lot lot more.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I just saw this on your page Shanlung. I had to share it. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That was pretty freakin awesome. :)

G

Genie

Gratifying to receive from my friends in Taiwan this morning. About every month or so I did get something like that. What I started with Tinkerbell in Taiwan in early 2000s (and btw, I was with her for a few weeks last year ) went on to greater heights.

True love ! That is so beautiful. Thank you for that video, it made my day !!!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
If someone beats you up over an opinion it states more about the person than you. Debate? Absolutely....not to be confused with attacking someone over their opinions.
Post away and welcome to the forum.
Wayne
I love this statement and agree. Huge difference between a "debate" and "attack." Everyone is entitled to their opinions and good for them. Everyone is different and good for us! The world is better for it. I would love to see your raptors fly free. I just watched a bunch of youtube videos on people who take their larger friends out for flying over canyons. It was amazing to see these truly magnificent birds with colors so vibrant streaking and swooping in sky. I could feel their pure joy through the screen! The human partners were waiting on top encouraging their flying friends and it was beautiful. If I ever get lucky enough to be invited to watch something like that, I would definitely go!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Shanlung! It has been such a long, long time since I've "seen" you. The first time was years ago on TF and I try to touch base with your travels. You and Tinkerbell touched my heart very, very deeply so many years ago. I hope you and your diverse family have been as well and healthy as could be expected. :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
While I would love to free fly my fids, I would not feel comfortable doing so in my area due to the predators that I know are present and the fact that all my fids are smaller. To a certain extent I envy those who can and do free fly their birds and I wish mine could be. They are free flighted inside my house which is as close as they ever will be with me.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Well what about flight lines attached to a harness, can't birds fly pretty far with those

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well what about flight lines attached to a harness, can't birds fly pretty far with those
I own two harnesses for birds and when I've tried them on the gccs and Quakers what I've ended up with is a bird flopping around acting as if it is on its deathbed :rofl: - the gccs even provided dying sound effects! It is funny to watch but nobirdy was going walk let alone fly with a harness and leash on. :bash::bash:

I would still be afraid of a hawk grabbing one of the fids on a leash.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Care still needs to be taken with a harness, even flight lines. I don't have a flight line, but I do have one bird who wears a harness while outside.

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
I've been looking at tumbler pigeon breeds recently. I like free flight - there is no comparison to seeing a bird in even a large aviary, and watching birds maybe a hundred feet up, flying around the neighbourhood. We have a tame collard dove that I fed after finding it as a baby on the ground. He spent time in the netted hoop house until he could fly easily. He is now entirely free, but does show up for breakfast and dinner to feed with the chickens.

That said, I wouldn't do so with a parrot. (just me.)

I wanna fly

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie Christian
I saw a slow motion video of a B&G Macaw flying. It was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. I hope one day I'll be able to let Big Mama fly.

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
I read somewhere that a person who free-flighted their bird taught it to recite its address and phone number in case it flew off and was found later.
I cannot trust my birdie to recite address and phone number.
But I think this would do. Much better than implanting microchip in bird.
By the time a vet found that, that person might have gotten such strong bond that he/she will not want to give back the bird.

Extract from
Reflections on Riamfada at edge of the Empty Quarter and some rants

A glimmer of a partial solution came during that drive back.

I could not pray to be given precognitive powers. And if I have precognitive powers, I would not have wasted it on Riamfada.

I would be a billionaire 100 times over playing the stock market, racing horses and futures market. I would then wired Riamfada up with miniature sensors and GPS widgets with no regards to costs to know exactly where she is at any time. And engaged a backup army of humans on scrambler bikes to keep eyeball lookouts to get her back.

I have little concern for spook flights for reasons I touched on earlier.

Parroty joke flights done to me had been local and had to be accepted as parroty joke to be lived with and within walking distances.

That eventuality that I had to prepare for is that Riamfada during an exuberance flight got blown or chased until she could not come back and too far for me to get to her.

Falcon transponders I had enquired in Dubai who wanted to charge me 3 times the price I saw on Internet.

But what if Riamfada could tell those who found her my telephone? Or my telephone number be on her that I then could be contacted.

What if something could be clipped to her with my telephone?

What about those tiny aluminium thingie with paper scrolled inside designed for cat or dog collars that I seen in pet shops in Qurum? That I could tie with Dyneema to her harness?

That same evening saw me in petshop there. They have no tiny aluminum cylinder thingie. Perhaps I seen that in petshop in some other countries that got mentally displaced to here in Muscat, Oman.

But they have tiny plastic cylinder thingie for cats or dogs. I rather have the aluminium as I feared Riamfada would just chew the plastic apart. I bought 2 of those at about 2 US$ each. They snapped open to reveal a scroll of paper for name address and telephone number inside.

The next morning was Friday. But that day would be devoted to checking this possible solution.
I called Mr Jabri who enjoyed that desert report and was frightened by that only a bit less than me and much more frightened than any of you for reason obvious to all of you.

He agreed his name and phone be written in that paper together with my wife telephone number. That was in case if Riam was rescued by someone who might not be able to speak English, he would be called.

I was prepared for any ransom or reward money to get Riamfada back.

I fixed two harness with that tiny cylinder thingie. Riamfada was harnessed up for that acid test. If those cylinder bothered her. She could chew that within a second.

She was curious, and gave that a cursory chew and never bothered again with that cylinder.

That Friday was spend in neighbourhood walks , and flights inside the house with just the harness on. She never bothered with the cylinder.

That was tested all through the week in our daily neighbourhood walks and recall flights done. That tiny cylinder thingie never bothers Riam at all when she was flying or not flying and ignored by her all the time.

Nothing is fool proof. But the chances of Riamfada being found and reunited with me is now immensely better with those telephone numbers attached to her harness via that cylinder.

Any freeflights will be done with Riam in her harness which now weigh 4 grams with that cylinder thingy. The harness is less than 1 % of her body weight. That 1 % is less than your running shoes /shirt/shorts that you wear when you go for a run. Or do you need to be naked and running without shoes before you feel you are truly running? If you feel that way, and if you are a sweet young thing and live near me, do me a favour and come over and run in circles around me.

Riamfada in harness is likely to be less exuberant. Which is fine by me.

I said before the body leash of the harness is reduced to barely an inch. The only way the harness could be snagged on tree would be on a tiny thorn or twig. Riamfada enjoyed almonds and brazil nuts in their shells. Riamfada chewed a basket to pieces and in the process of chewing the hostess trolley in her room to pieces. She chewed the 2 inch diameter perch in her room.

I cannot imagine Riam would not chew any twig if she is ever snagged by a twig. Maybe if her harness caught in barb wire fence might be a problem. I promise all that I will never fly Riam anywhere near barb wire fence or outside a prison wall.

and extract from

more on mind & tofu // Dommie at Omer//kitties// Riamfada and 3 turns on dime

Riamfada and 3 turns on dime

In addition to finding strange orange balls at municipal bin areas, my wife found also what we were looking for earlier.

She saw in Carrefour supermarket the aluminium thingy with address/phone inside.

Riamfada hardly bite the yellow thingy with our phone. Even so, bite marks were clearly seen on the plastic thingy.
Reflections on Riamfada at edge of the Empty Quarter and some rants
Reflections on Riamfada at edge of the Empty Quarter and some rants - Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot

The aluminium thingy was what I wanted.

That yellow thingy was removed and the aluminium thingy substitued

One day, on our usual late afternoon neighbourhood walks when it was cooler, I did what I thought was a very routine recall from a short 30 meters away down the road just outside our villa.

Riamfada took off at cue. She flew in a straight line at me without zigzagging about. I instantly felt she was going to give me a fright with another of her parroty joke. The only question was how much of a fright would it be.

She powered her way at my shoulder level in a bee line to my left shoulder. Then at about 2 feet from me, Riam changed direction turning on that dime to head to the right. Just at about my right shoulder, she flared and twisted her wings to do a 180 degree turn still at same level. It was just a wing flap and she twisted her body right in front of my face and hovered for a second. Almost as if laughing at me at how clever she was. She then flew to my left shoulder and touched down there with her head down for her congratutory head rubs.

In a space just about the size of my hands placed in front of me with finger tips touching, she did 3 turns on a dime turning.

To amuse herself.

I was shocked, my wife was shocked. All that can only be written down as needless to say, the camera was still slinged from my wife's neck.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung