• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicker training finch/canary type birds?

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My friend's got a few, and I would help him train them. I'm wondering:

1. Is this the best route to go when training finches/canaries? Is there a more effective way?
2. What are the differences when it comes to training finch/canary type birds as opposed to parrots?
3. The main goal is to have them tame enough to be moved without grabbing for cage cleaning(basically just stepping up and staying on his finger), but what else can finches learn?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I tamed a canary without a clicker. Just used a lot of one-on-one time and millet and my voice.

Makes me think you could definitely clicker train one. Sorry; I don’t have much advice. Just wanted to say go for it, and good luck.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They can learn to perch where you tell them (my command is “”perch”)

And step up:

They can ride a tiny skateboard or scooter thingie

They can ‘turn around’ on command

That’s all I can think of but I’m sure there is more. As @MnGuy said, using your voice and millet is effective. I have recently noticed they respond well to hand signals — I’m going to try more of that.

I feel that we don’t give the smaller birds their due, they are smarter than people think. I have a friend who trains all her finches and I believe she’s doing TV commercials with them.

I’ll have to try the clicker with mine and see what happens!

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you!!
I'll be telling him all this, hopefully school will let us start working on it soon. :)

Yeah, people usually underestimate the smaller animals. Heck, even parrots were on that list for the longest time, and they're real smarties! I thought of it more as in temperament and body language and such. Parrots just seem more expressive but I've never worked with a finch/canary type so I can't really know. :p

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Smaller = more subtle body language. It's similar though. You just have to be more observant. :)