• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking to Adopt in Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't have the heart to post about it on AA at the time, but I lost one of my two special needs cockatiels (my avatar bird, Odette) in November after fighting years of chronic mutilating due to being abused as a baby.

It's been a couple months now and I'm putting out feelers to adopt another cockatiel sometime in the near future (as soon as possible, but taking my time to find the right fit). I live in Atlanta, but I'm willing to go anywhere within about 3 hours to adopt.

I have 20+ years of experience with cockatiels (some of you know me as a former moderator on Talk Cockatiels), including untame and medically complex/special needs birds. I work in (human) healthcare and have an established avian vet for my flock. I have a setup to quarantine in a separate air space. I currently have two other 'tiels, a 24 year-old who's been with me since he was 6 weeks old (before people got smart about unweaned babies), and an 11 year-old special needs girl who I've had for about 7 years now. I'm very passionate about rescue and I'd love to give a good home to another 'tiel.

If you're looking to rehome a cockatiel or know of someone in the area who is, please let me know. I'm happy to provide any other info as well!

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
I’m sorry about your cockatiel!:sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm sorry you lost Odette! :(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If I had a cockatiel for re home I would certainly feel comfortable about you. Its sad that you lost a precious one. I hope that you find the one that needs you most.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@MNR My vet works with them and I would love to adopt from them, but unless you know something I don't, they don't have any tiels right now. Definitely on my list though!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was very sad to see on FB that you lost Odette. She was a special bird and you did wonders for her. She was very lucky to have you. I wish you were closer to PA! Our rescue here has tiels in need of homes. Good luck with finding your new friend. :)

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@enigma731

The last time I volunteered for Papayago , there are at least two adoptable tiels (one is called Levi. I can't remember the other's name. Levi is totally plucked. Both are very sweet.) Just contact the rescue.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry you lost Odette.
:sadhug2:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@MNR Thanks for the tip!

And thanks for the condolences, everyone. I think Odette had a good quality of life until just before the end, but she also struggled a lot in her relatively short life (she was with me for 5 years). In the end, she got an infection in her bone, and although we had largely gotten her to stop mutilating, it ultimately proved fatal. I'm relieved she's not struggling anymore, even though I miss her. Now I want her legacy to be a good home for another 'tiel in need.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Good luck! I hope you find a little friend! :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's great! Good luck finding your new birdie. :)

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now I just need Roo to quit it with her egg drama :bash:

But actually I think she's laying because not having a cage mate has upset her flock dynamic. So I'll be moving ahead regardless since I think it's in her best interest.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Have fun and good luck!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Phoenix Landing has cockatiels that were seized a while back. Idk if you have an adoption coordinator in your area, but I know they have them in MD, SC, NC and VA, so I don’t see why GA would be out of reach

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I hope it will work out for you.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
So sorry about the loss of your precious tiels with special needs. Special needs and senior tiels (and in general) move my heart. They've had a greater life in their last moments with you for sure. Your other tiels indeed provide fullness of their presence and a loss always leaves an empty space. I don't have resources in GA, but the best wishes on your quest to find a tiel to fill your home this weekend.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Sorry about your loss and good luck in your search to find another perfect one. Enjoy your search!

Status
Not open for further replies.