• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Camera suggestions?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm looking for a decent camera mainly to film my parakeets. They are so funny but I can never get it on tape because they stop when I go near the cage. I want either a camera with good zoom or something that I can always leave set up near their cage and simply turn it on to start filming. I also want decent audio to capture my keet talking from a further distance since he stops talking when I'm near him. I don't need the fanciest camera, I want something fairly basic/ easy to use. These videos would only be for myself and maybe to share on social media, nothing professional. I haven't played around with a "real" camera in years lol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can’t get a better point and shoot camera than today’s smart phone. It’s all computational photography now. Stepping up to a big DSL camera is overkill IMO. Not to mention expensive.

As far a filming your birds you have not “conditioned” them to the camera. You’ll have the same issue with whatever camera you use. Every time you interact with your birds that camera/phone should be in your hand or very close by. Soon enough they’ll ignore it. Or jump on it.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't think it's because they're afraid of my phone it's because when I go by the cage my male keet in particular expects me to talk to him. He loves when I talk to him so he just drops whatever he's doing, runs over to our talking spot, and sits there in silence waiting for me to talk to him lol just this morning I showed him my phone because I put a new case on it and he was poking it with his beak.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Any 1080P web/wifi camera will do what you want. And then you can also spy on them.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Any 1080P web/wifi camera will do what you want. And then you can also spy on them.
I actually bought a "spy camera" but it's not good audio or picture quality so I'll look into some different ones. My current spy camera has come in handy so I can check on my birds when I'm visiting my parents for a couple days, other wise I'm constantly worrying about them lol

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I actually bought a "spy camera" but it's not good audio or picture quality so I'll look into some different ones. My current spy camera has come in handy so I can check on my birds when I'm visiting my parents for a couple days, other wise I'm constantly worrying about them lol
As John says a mobile camera is just perfect...it takes great photos and videos..and almost every mobile phone today can take photos in 1080p and record videos in same format so in the long run i would say use the smartphone..also alot cheaper.

IF u feel u must have a real camera...then i recommend Nikon Coolpix P900 wich are considerable cheap but alot of camera for the money..its a bridge camera so its a fixed lens.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My phone does great video and photos but the zoom on it is terrible and I can't get very close to the birds without causing them to stop what they're doing so that's where my problem is. I know there are lenses you can attach to phones to get closer up (macro?) photos, I wonder if there's an add on that would help me get a better zoom.

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
My phone does great video and photos but the zoom on it is terrible and I can't get very close to the birds without causing them to stop what they're doing so that's where my problem is. I know there are lenses you can attach to phones to get closer up (macro?) photos, I wonder if there's an add on that would help me get a better zoom.
There is i think...i doesnt use any of that..but i seen commercial about on FB.

Just search for zoom lense mobile and u should find some options.