• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fighting Linnies - Help!

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
My two little linnies (6 months, brothers) have all of a sudden started to fight. They scream at each other and attack each other's feet and beaks, whereas before they got along just fine. I can't separate them as I don't have another cage (and can't afford one) and I'm really, really worried. They're just coming to the end of their first moult, and one of them in particular is quite itchy and irritable. I've checked for mites and they're fine, and their diet is the same as normal. I'm afraid they'll really hurt each other.

As of just this very second, one of them has just regurgitated a LOT of food, all solid. He had eaten an awful lot at once, so I just wonder if he overate. The regurgitated food had a very pungent sour smell. I sat with him and let him take a little water, cleaned up his beak, he seems fine now if a little sorry for himself. Since then they've stopped fighting completely. I'm very confused and worried.

Has anyone encountered this before? I can't find any real information online about fighting linnies that aren't trying to breed.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You must get another cage or you are risking a serious injury/death of the weaker bird. What is the background of these birds? Pet store or Breeder? How do you know they are siblings?

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
You must get another cage or you are risking a serious injury/death of the weaker bird. What is the background of these birds? Pet store or Breeder? How do you know they are siblings?
I got them from a breeder at 12 weeks, he assured me that they are brothers. They've never shown this kind of aggression before, and usually get along just fine, grooming each other, eating together, etc. Since last night's incident they've been fine, but I'm terrified of it happening again.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sometimes animals can detect illness in others and it makes them behave in unpredictable ways. I would get a checkup for the one that regurgitated, and start saving for a cage. When they reach sexual maturity they may not like each other's company quite so close anymore.

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Update - since the initial incident, there's been no fighting at all. Toki is acting completely normal with no signs of ill health, and things are back to the way they were. Here's a photo of Toki with his favourite treat in the world, sunflower seeds!
IMG_3793.JPG

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for updating us on your good news.