• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Newmarket, Toronto or Guelph - Ontario, Canada

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
I can and would personally recommend any one of these 3 clinics for avian care.

Newmarket - College Manor Veterinary Hospital - Dr. Alan Donais
Toronto - The Links Road Animal and Bird Clinic
Guelph - Campus Estates Animal Hosp ** 24 hour care is available **

There is also the Veterinary College at the University of Guelph but I have never had any avian experience with them.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure I would recommend Links Road, personally. I'm still a bit upset at them for refusing to stay open even a minute longer to see my Josie near their closing time despite the emergency situation, tears, begging, and offers of more money. I do like Dr. Axelson there.

I would recommend Dr. Laine at the Animal Hospital at High Park in Toronto. Only Dr. Laine though.

Last edited:

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
I take all 3 of my birds to Campus Estates Animal Hospital in Guelph and can attest that they are great there. Just had one of my birds in there a month or so ago for an injury and they were great.

2lovebirds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christine
I have been to Links as well. I had positive experiences with two of the vets there, Dr. Axelson and Dr. Mauromatis. I also have used the services of a mobile exotics vet - Dr. Kim Kosari. She has been really great with my birds for routine visits (grooming and general check ups.) Thanks for the info on the other clinics - good to know!

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
I know this is an old bump, but I highly recommend The Links Road, though I've only ever had appointments scheduled early in the day and thankfully no emergencies yet - Dr. Nur (currently on mat leave) and Dr. Mavromatis are absolutely wonderful. I think Axelson can be a bit rough with my birds, and he spends a lot of time covering his butt about risky procedures even though I show up every month for the same thing. I understand why, but his bedside manner makes it seem like he's more concerned about his own protection than the health of the bird and the confidence I have with him. Who wants to be told "anything could go wrong, just so you know" over and over as they're about to take your beloved pet into the back?

Dr. Yee is new, and she's very sweet and kind with the birds as well.

alexmait

Meeting neighbors
This is an old thread but while researching clinics for a friend, I learned that many clinics do not have off-hours monitoring of sick pets they admit into their hospital for observation. They also do not disclose this to the customer. So if a sick pet gets worse at night, it can die because there is no veterinarian present to give urgent assistance.

Be careful when considering leaving your pet at any clinic or hospital.