• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We're getting a kitten!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
We have been told for a while, "We're not getting another cat." So, you can imagine how surprised I was when I was told we were going to go meet a kitten tomorrow named Yoda :hehe: and maybe adopt him, depending on if he's a good fit.

Based off his description, he's an affectionate kitten who enjoys playing, being held, and will even snuggle up to your neck.

:omg:He was made for us! He's good with everyone: dogs, cats, and kids. Unfortunately, birds was not listed on there. So, we'll see how he reacts when he sees the birds.

He'll be part of our Christmas presents, which is totally fine with me! I'm always up for expanding our pet family!

Yoda is a light orange/ginger cat. He's only 4 months old, having been born sometime August 2017. One thing has been decided: we are NOT changing his name, lol. That is if he's a good fit. Obviously, I'm excited, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. Who knows, he might not be the right fit at all. But, either way, we're getting another cat, yay!

It will, of course, probably be harder to keep 2 cats out of my room so I can give my birds their out of cage time, but I'll make it work.

I promise I'll post pictures tomorrow if we bring a cat home! :)

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Do yourself a big favor and don't take the chance with putting the birds and cat together. Even ones that become "friends" can accidentally harm a bird in seconds or less. Cat saliva is toxic... Scratches are deadly. Always keep them separate and don't chance fate.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I agree. Keep the cats separate from the birds.

Congratulations

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I'm sorry, that is not what I meant. I have never, ever let my birds interact with my cat, Gemma. I just meant I'll just have to see what his reaction to them is when he just sees them from afar. Trust me, I know not to put my birds and other pets together, and never have, not even supervised.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I'm sorry, that is not what I meant. I have never, ever let my birds interact with my cat, Gemma. I just meant I'll just have to see what his reaction to them is when he just sees them from afar. Trust me, I know not to put my birds and other pets together, and never have, not even supervised.
I am happy to hear this. Some people take too much risk on my opinion.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congrats! Love his name! I have no trouble keeping the cats out of my room:rolleyes: In the beginning they would sit by the door calling to me but they learned that my room is just a place they can rarely go. They can come in sometimes when the birds are sleeping and Some cuddle and play with me, but they have to go to another place before I go to sleep:)

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
We have brought home our newest furry family member, and so far, so good! He is so small, and cute, and adorable, and I already love him!

We haven't seen the snuggly side of him yet. He's still exploring and playing around. He is fine with our pups and will even rub up against them. He seems to be getting along with our other cat, Gemma. They've even started playing with each other. We are still supervising them with each other; we don't want a cat fight. However, I see no reason to worry.

The only problem we have come across is he's protective of his food and water. But I'm not very worried about that. If he doesn't get used to eating with our other cat, we'll just feed them separately.

Now for some pictures of the cutie! :)

IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG

Sorry, not the best photos. He was very active when these were taken.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Aaaaahhhwww he is absolutly ADORABLE! Seriously, look at him playing just way too cute! I can totally understand that you are in love with him:D Congratulations! You have Some interesting years ahead with him I think:rolleyes: I also love his color red!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thanks!

We finally saw the cuddly side of him earlier. I got on the floor with him and he curled up in my arms and laid there for a while. I think he's OK with Gemma. He doesn't mind her, but prefers to keep his distance. This, however, could change. Hopefully he'll get more used to her and they'll be best buds!

Cats seem to love our big dog, Gizmo. Earlier Yoda (hehe, I still love the name!) went up to Gizmo and literally cuddled with him. He laid up against him and was playing with his fur. My sister took a picture, I'll ask her to text it to me so I can post it! :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yoda is adorable. As you know keep all cats away from your birds. Young cats really are very active and an easily be attracted to the fast movements of a bird, especially when the birds are flying. Even my 15 year old cat watches my birds like a hawk!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Congrats on Yoda! That is one cute cat! Doesn't even look real, lol. The belly :rofl:

Is it a munchkin cat?
I do not believe he is a Munchkin cat, no. He's just so small (he is 4 months old, after all!). The pictures I posted do make him look like a Munchkin cat though, I agree. Small body, huge personality! He's a very talkative cat, and his voice is so tiny, high-pitched, and adorable!

Yoda is adorable. As you know keep all cats away from your birds. Young cats really are very active and an easily be attracted to the fast movements of a bird, especially when the birds are flying. Even my 15 year old cat watches my birds like a hawk!
Thanks for the tip! I've never and will never take my birds out of the cage with any of the pets in the room. Yoda has only been allowed to see the birds through the cage, but that is IT.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Congrats on your new family member! I've always wanted a cat but A. My brother (and me to an extent) is quite allergic B. Now I have 2 lovies and a rabbit and I don't want to introduce that risk to our home.
Perhaps one day, but not while the rabbit is here, the birds are easier to keep safe as they stay in one room but Sunshine is right in the living room

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Kitty snuggles!
IMG_2517.JPG

And just as an extra picture, Gemma sleeping in the strangest spot she could find.
IMG_2527.JPG
Excuse the mess, lol. Gemma seems to love it, though.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yoda is soooo beautiful! Seriously that light color red with the darker red Andy then those eyes and that whitish face:faint::heart: Gemme reminds me of Whisky:hehe: Too cute how they sleep so comfortable in all the messy places:D

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Aww he's adorable!! Love the name Yoda :p
I know! When we found out we were adopting him, we decided immediately we were not changing his name. It's a weird cat name, but yet it's so perfect for him! ;)

So sad to think this little cutie and all the others get stuck in shelters for no reason. His brothers were up for adoption, too. Their names were Moses and Milo. I wish we could've adopted all three of them!

I'm so glad we adopted, though. The rescue we got him from was great; they made absolutely sure he was going to a great home. The staff was so nice and helpful. They were so willing to get him to PetSmart so we could meet him. That same day, we were taking our dogs to PetSmart to get Santa photos, so they took Yoda there so we could meet him.

I wonder what my pups were thinking, lol. They were there when we met him and brought him home. They must've been thinking, "Not another one!"

They don't seem to mind him at all, though. They don't chase him, and if Yoda goes up to our dog, Gizmo, and starts to cuddle him, he doesn't care.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
Oh my god... my brain is overloading with his cuteness. Congratulations with Yoda, he already seems super happy. God, how much I wish I could cuddle with him :D.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Oh my god... my brain is overloading with his cuteness. Congratulations with Yoda, he already seems super happy. God, how much I wish I could cuddle with him :D.
Thank you! He has settled in super well and is a big trouble maker! The amount of drinks he’s spilled since he got here... I lost count! It’s our fault too, though, we should know by now not to leave drinks sitting by him. And he LOVES food, like a dog. If you’re eating he will run up and beg for it. Silly little guy! He loves snuggles with the other pets!
D6B26C90-F0D7-4724-BE26-1FA00A1A7524.jpeg
Gemma is a great “momma” to him!

B5FB9DDB-9946-4AAC-9032-9659FAD48A59.jpeg
:rofl: Look at Odie’s (the dog’s) face!