• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New stove - HELP!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
So our oven bit the dust a week or so ago and the landlord finally stopped dragging his heels on getting a replacement. It arrives today and, from just being happy to have a working oven in time for Xmas, it hadn't crossed my mind that using a new oven will emit fumes.

The kitchen opens into the family room of which one third is curtained off for the birds. No doors, nothing solid to close. Plus right now it's a balmy 20-29F so opening windows or moving the (43) birds is going to be difficult to say the least. Not everyone is caged.

I was considering opening the side door of the family room and using fans blowing from the stove to the door but don't know if that would work. Also thinking of maybe spraying down the inside of the oven with water in hopes of minimizing fumes.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sandra, I just de-fumed mine last week by turning on all fans, opening doors. Put a fan in the bird room blowing out the door (so toward the oven area, to be sure oven air didn't reach them) and ran everything for an hour. Worked fine.

Hope you can do it safely. It''s so worrisome!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I ran my new oven and " burned it off" with the fids in the back room, Windows open and a fan
They were there..much to they're dismay..for two days...little $#!+$ ate the window blinds..:shifty:
You can count yourself lucky, you have the new "distressed" window covers at no charge. We have some "distressed" venetian blinds too.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Hitch to open windows is 20F cold outside ... but I can always cover all the bird cages and keep the curtains to their section closed.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Our oven is gas - does it make any difference whether it's gas or electric?
Not sure about the gas,,,mine is electric..hope someone pops up who would know. But, I would burn it off the same as an electric one and keep the children away for a day or two till the fumes dissapate.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Not sure about the gas,,,mine is electric..hope someone pops up who would know. But, I would burn it off the same as an electric one and keep the children away for a day or two till the fumes dissapate.
Going to be hard to keep the "children" away (31 & 27) - they only show up for food or free laundry service.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I was considering opening the side door of the family room and using fans blowing from the stove to the door but don't know if that would work. Also thinking of maybe spraying down the inside of the oven with water in hopes of minimizing fumes.
Yea that will work. Get a roll of 3mil polythene plastic and tape up a temporary vapour (air) barrier if you must. Use blue or green painters tape. It doesn’t over stick and comes off clean/easily.

Spraying water in there won’t do anything except cool it down. You want it to get hot to burn the crap off.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yea that will work. Get a roll of 3mil polythene plastic and tape up a temporary vapour (air) barrier if you must. Use blue or green painters tape. It doesn’t over stick and comes off clean/easily.

Spraying water in there won’t do anything except cool it down. You want it to get hot to burn the crap off.
^ That is what I did and opened one window and the door to control the air flow...pushing air in towards the stove/door and sucking air out at the door. I still cover their opening when I cook just in case.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was blessed, I took my parrots off premises. My stove is electric and hubby did it for me and said it smelled awful.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@SandraK I'm exhausted from cleaning after 2 parrots...... You amaze me!