• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Holly..

Magic Macaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
hi guys just an update on our GW Holly, she seems to be settling well, Holly is still taking roughly 100 cc of formula once a day. She is trying new foods daily and eating her pellets when she feels like it lol when we are in the room with her all she wants to do is be with us which is great but we also want to teach her independence so some of the day she is left alone at different times which is generally when she will start eating on her own with no distractions from us. So a quick question for you guys, Holly is not used to her big feet yet lol and can't really grip my arm very well at the moment so when would be best to start step up training?
She follows me when walking around the floor and will at times fly down from her perch onto the dining room table if I'm sitting there. Thanks guys

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Sounds like she is doing great!

You could start step up training now, try wearing a sweater that isn't too baggy but gives her something more textured to hold on to.
My macaw has arthritis and is instantly more comfortable when he is hopping on an arm with a sweater on it vs bare skin.
Ideally she will get good at balancing with the sweater on, then maybe switch to a long sleeve with less texture or go straight to bare skin.

The sweater will also help give you some protection when she discovers how strong that big powerful beak is :blink::laugh:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Never too early. Just be slow and patient. Make sure she is settled and stable before moving.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
sounds very cool, she is a fortunate bird. One thought. I know it is standard practice to say "step up", but on the advice of the bird rescue that I got Louise from suggested I use the words "come here" so that when she wants to be near someone she is asking them to "come here"

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
sounds very cool, she is a fortunate bird. One thought. I know it is standard practice to say "step up", but on the advice of the bird rescue that I got Louise from suggested I use the words "come here" so that when she wants to be near someone she is asking them to "come here"
That's a neat idea. I'm always wondering if there are better words to use for Buzz & Bug in case they start using them to ask for things.