• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel showering

Seilia

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone, I am once again popping back in to ask a quick question about my cockatiel. My cockatiel, Macquarie absolutely loves water. I mean LOVES water. I have been misting him daily lately since he really enjoys it and I dont have all that much humidity where I live( especially not now since its snowy) this has been keeping his skin healthy
Anyways, since he loves water so so much I was wandering if I could let him actually shower, in the shower.
I couldn't find much information on smaller birds in the shower and whether or not it is safe so i figured this is the best place to come. I would obviously only have him walk into the water if he wanted and I wouldn't force him to go underneath the water if he didn't want to. I would hold him on my arm because i feel that would be best since he is comfortable there and he has never used the shower perch.
Thanks in advance. let me know if you have any other recommendations for birdies that love water as much as him!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As long as the shower stream doesn't knock him off your shoulder it's a great activity for both of you. He doesn't need to be in the stream. Just the overspray from water hitting you will get him soaked. Not too hot.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s great that he likes water so much! My birds go in the shower when they are in the mood, and my vet said to get them completely drenched if they want to. The steam is very good for birds. Just make sure he is warm enough after.

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My male loves having a shower with me but he stands between my feet. He also likes getting the blow dryer

Hissy_Fit

Meeting neighbors
Southern California, United States of America
A good thing to introduce your cockatiel to showers is a shower perch. You can even make one yourself, with a standard suction cup holder and some styrofoam (make sure it's stable before you put your bird on it.) Make sure if you're showering, it's warm in the house and not night time. If your 'tiel is wet and in a cold house (like at night) they could possibly freeze to death. Also, birds are more sensitive to temperature than humans. Keep your shower at a lukewarm temperature, about the temperature of a heated swimming pool. Afterwards, you can dry him off with a Teflon-free blowdryer on a low heat setting, or let him air dry. Good luck! I'm sure your little buddy will love showers :)