• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahns Mccaw - Need some training tips (semi - new owner)

platelamp

Moving in
I recently acquired my grumpy little hahns Mccaw a few months ago. She's very smart, and shes a Diva. She is most of the time very gentle with me, though she can be a bit nippy at times, which I've read is normal. Her name is Chloe, and shes 12 years old when I bought her as a "second chance" bird from a local store. She's very sweet and she can be fun. She is also good at telling me she doesn't like what I'm doing with shriekying nibbles as to say "I don't like when u scratch dat part, try again", but she loves attention I tell you.

She will poop on command when I ask her to, which is cool, and she loves to share anything I'm eating (don't worry I've read on the dos and don'ts for her diet).

Couple things...

1. What is the best way to address fear/aggression towards strangers? She likes to be on me only and she will TOLERATE my wife, but my daughter, shes 4, and my bird just truly hates her. Makes angry noises and nips on my shirt or ears when my daughter is close by and shes hanging out, or when my daughter is near her cage when shes in it or perching.

2. She is OBSESSED with being with me when I'm in the house, unless I cover her, she is shrieking until I get her out and attach her to my shoulder, to which I am welcomed with joyus noises and kisses. I can't get her to hang out with my wife for 10 seconds before she's leaning off her finger or her shoulder, motioning toward me.

3. Whats the best way to train? I'd like to train her to say more words or do tricks or actions, some tips or success stories here would be cool.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
OK, you asked for it.

Have you ever heard of clicker training? It is what they were doing in the beginning of Jurassic World with the velociraptors. (A good stand-in for a Hahns, isn't it?)
It is also called positive reinforcement.

Check out Barbara Heidenreich (Barbara's Force Free Animal Training | Transforming Animal Behavior), Lara Joseph (The Animal behavior Center is an Educational Center), they have training videos on youtube too.
This gives you and Chloe a way for you to say "this is what I want" and Chloe to say "oh I get it"
You will also learn lots of body language.

Once you have this down you can start to train behaviors. For example, you might be able to train her to wait for a recall cue before flying to you.

Well, these will also give you some info you should have. Especially as she seems extremely attached to you.
Watch how you touch her, you may be encouraging her to think of you as her mate. Not good at all. Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine
cliff notes version (sorta)
http://www.ballancebehavior.com/Por...ng the Pet Parrot updated version 10.3.13.pdf

and good info for when you are trying to train, helps you figure out what is going on with some behaviors plus clicker training info too
Susan Friedman Written Works: Learning and Behavior - BehaviorWorks.com

platelamp

Moving in
Thanks for the info, very insightful.

This actually explains a lot, shoot. Pets to the head only then!

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Pooping on command is a potentially dangerous behavior. I would extinguish it.

platelamp

Moving in
Pooping on command is a potentially dangerous behavior. I would extinguish it.
Why do you say that? I usually if I have her out for a while I’ll set her on her cage and ask her to go potty, and she will do it. But she will go otherwise if I don’t notice, easy clean up

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Why do you say that? I usually if I have her out for a while I’ll set her on her cage and ask her to go potty, and she will do it. But she will go otherwise if I don’t notice, easy clean up
It could potentially be dangerous because if they do it on command, they may hold it until you tell them to go- which is not good for them. It sounds like she will do without your command so it should be okay. (Somebody correct me if I am wrong here) :)