• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did you tak the plunge?

MinkFeathers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Logan
Well, we closed on the house on friday! Now to get things in order and start saving for my future curl!

However I am still a bit nervous. These birds aren't exactly common and I have never seen one in person. So if I do go through with this, I am looking at dropping 4-5k on an animal I havenever met. More tha a little nerve wracking to say the least.

So, my question is to those who have their aracaris all ready. Did you get to meet an aracari before your purchase, or did you jump right in and take the challenges head on?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
Do you have a bird store near you? The one that i go to -- Omar's in Lake Forest, sometimes has arcaries. it would be nice to meet him first.

Buttersquash

Meeting neighbors
For me, the very reason I have an aracari is because I was so blown away when I met one in person - and just knew it clicked.

Prior to meeting one I had considered getting a parrot for a long time. But always had reservations. Meeting the Aracari was like a lightning bolt hit (which is the beginning of many worthwhile relationships;)

MinkFeathers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Logan
Well, there are no stores here that carry Aracaris and the breeder who is local has no 'pets' only breeders and babies that he doesn't let the public see since they are so sensitive. I was invited out to Jennings place but I just can't afford that trip financially or time wise right now and possibly not in the future Since I have a fairly time consuming job. =(

Bambi

Moving in
I made time to go to Jennings'! I also have a time consuming job but.... I live an eight hour drive away, and you're across the country! So I understand your hesitation. I just did a lot of research, bugged Jerry a lot, and tracked down people on the internet with Aracari to bother them too. I had sort of accepted I was never going to get one due to the expense, but someone commissioned me to do a BlizzCon showcase piece in exchange for a baby - guess he knew a guy. It was serendipitous! My curl is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I hope you found what you're looking for!

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
If it makes you feel any better, we never met Kevin before taking the plunge. Similar to your experience, I found out about them when researching softbills and was absolutely smitten. We put down a deposit on Kevin less than a month later. Since his breeder is still pretty small (not a huge operation like Jennings) he does not always have many babies to choose from; Kevin in particular was a single egg in an unexpectedly late second clutch and so it was him or nothing! Luckily we could not have asked for a better bird.

Having bought and shipped other birds (parrots) from far off breeders previously I think we were a little more comfortable with the uncertainty of a completely unknown bird. And if it's any comfort, I really don't think there is a way you can ever completely "go wrong" with a new baby, so to speak. Kevin has many wonderful traits, and a few annoying ones too. But that's how it's going to be with any bird. Just because he has been challenging in a few ways, doesn't mean we are ever going to love him any less. Luckily, a baby is going to be strongly influenced by their upbringing so even if they have less desirable personality traits you can always mitigate them with training.

And don't forget, even if you do have the chance to go meet babies first hand, it's never going to give you a perfect insight into a particular bird's personality. Kevin has changed SO MUCH since he was a baby, and everyone should anticipate aspects of their bird's personality to evolve as they mature and age. If you are more concerned with how you handle owning an aracari in general that's a slight difference story, but if your worries are based more on "clicking" with a particular bird I think you should not let it get to you too much!