• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My experience with Budgies

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I know a "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" thread has already been made for Budgies, but I thought I'd just share my experience with these lovely birds and even give a small care guide for those interested.

First, I'll just include my Good, Bad, and Ugly for Budgies based off my experience.

The GOOD
Budgies can be really good companion animals. They can bond very closely to you and will enjoy out of cage time if tamed correctly. My first Budgie, Bella, was friendly with every one in the family. She enjoyed getting out of her cage, and just enjoyed the company of people, in general. Though, I would not consider Budgies low maintenance pets in any way, they ARE easier and cheaper to care for than the bigger guys. Small bird, smaller beaks, meaning the less toys and food you have to go through. They're smaller size also means you do not need a huge cage, as required for birds such as Cockatoos and Macaws. Now, that does mean you purchase a very small cage just because your bird is small. Budgies do enjoy to fly and stretch their wings, so bigger is better.

The BAD
My Budgies are very stubborn. It takes them a while to try new things. In addition, you may have read that "Budgies make great apartment pets." This may or may not be true. I know for a fact that I would be unable to live in an apartment with my two. They are quite loud for such small birds. I am fine with the noise, and have gotten used to it. My family, however, are constantly complaining about the noise. The noise factor really depends on the bird. Some may be very quiet, with just a couple chirps or squawks here and there. Others, like mine, may be loud enough to annoy a whole family! Budgies can also be nippy little birds. I feel like my boy, Skittles, tries hard not to bite too hard, if not at all. He might give you a little peck if you do something against his wish, BUT his bites (or pecks) are not painful at all. Nico, on the other hand, has painful bites. Now, not enough to draw blood or break skin. Nico is also the less tame one, so that may be a factor, too. He probably doesn't care whether or not he delivers a painful bite. The last bad thing about my birds is the amount of mess they make. They poop a lot, but this may be true for all parrots. Seriously, though, their poop builds up quick. They can also be very messy with their food. If the stubborn little birds don't like a food you offer them, out of the cage and onto the floor it goes! Whenever you feed seeds, a lot of the shells from the seed drops onto the floor. While they may not be making the mess intentionally, it stills makes quite a mess. But they shouldn't even be fed A LOT of the dry seed mix anyway, so this will help decrease the amount of it on the floor.

Other
(I couldn't think of anything for "Ugly," so I just replaced with an "Other" category.) Budgies are flock animals. This means they are very social creatures and do like the company of other Budgies. This may or may not be a bad thing for you. I will admit, after getting my second Budgie, Nico, the two bonded to each other rather than me. This is, however, not the birds' fault, but mine. I did not spend enough time getting them used to people or tame. Skittles is semi-time, meaning he dislikes hands and prefers Nico, but does enjoy to perch on your shoulder, preen your hair, and will even enjoy head scratches. Nico, however, is still very untamed. He doesn't want anything to do with humans. It is, for this reason, that I do very deeply regret not spending the time to tame them. This does not mean in any way whatsoever that Budgies are not sweet birds that do not enjoy human interaction. This should also not scare you away from getting two or more. Even a bonded pair can still be great loyal companions for you. By getting two Budgies, you are just giving them a friend to play with when you cannot. It also means you get another great companion bird, rather than just one. ;)

Remember, this information above does not apply to all Budgies. Each Budgie can be very different. This is just my experience with these birds. And though they have several "Bads," I still love them very much and wouldn't trade them for anything, because they do have many good things about them!

Sorry, but the care guide will be added later! Check back soon for my small, simple Budgie Care Guide! Thanks for reading so far!

Last edited:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Aghhhh, I edited my original post and finally finished typing my care guide up when I went to save the changes and it didn't save and took away all my new writing I spent a while on! It won't even let me edit it again. :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You can always add another post to this thread.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I know, but it'll be a pain to right it all over again. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll have to post it even later now, but I'll plan on trying again. :)