• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

tail fanning

Valorous

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Embla
Hello!

My boy almost always fans his tail (kind of like this tail fanning parrot - Google Search ) when I scratch him on the neck.

I have googled it and everywhere it says that tail fanning is a sign of aggression and displeasure but I am 100% certain that he likes being scratched because he closes his eyes a little bit, doesn't move to "get out" (and of course I don't hold him in place), lowers his head to allow me to reach the neck and cheeks etc. so why does he fan his tail?

Anyone have a clue? Thank you!

Valorous

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Embla
Okay "almost always" was an exaggeration, it doesn't happen too often but often enough for me to notice it haha

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Curious to hear responses . Our African Grey does the same thing just sitting on my arm.

Jaidel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jaidel
To be honest, if he turns his head for you to scratch certain places, he likes it. I think his tail may do that because he feels relaxed and it feels... Good? I'm not sure but that's what it seems like

Valorous

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Embla
yeah it sounds right, but it's still strange that I can't find any information about it on the internet haha I guess he is just being a weirdo