• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering getting a companion, have a few questions

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
So I'm considering getting Charlie a companion (another lovebird) he has so, so much energy and sometimes he can be hard to keep up with. I figure if he has a lovebird buddy around his age (2 years) it would be good for him. Currently he spends at least 90% of the day with me and is usually perched on my shoulders or head, he hasn't shown much interest in his toys yet so I worry about him being bored when I go to work (I give him natural branches to chew on when I'm gone which he does like)
My mother thinks this would be a bad thing because "then he wouldn't spend time with you" but I told her that I shouldn't be thinking of what Charlie can do for me, as Charlie's owner I should be thinking about what I can do for Charlie and what's best for him.
Would gender matter for a companion? I know that the new bird should be quarantined for about a month or more before being introduced to Charlie, and they'd both have their own cages once the new bird is introduced

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Don't have any experience with love birds but I do have two gcc which are siblings so they do spend time together and will preen each other. However they still love being around me and will come for kisses and cuddles. Then again they were both hand raised.

As for toys do you rotate them? I rotate the budgies ones once a week as they get bored.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
most of the toys should be completely shreddable and destructible so it's more a matter of replacing them rather than rotating them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My mother thinks this would be a bad thing because "then he wouldn't spend time with you" but I told her that I shouldn't be thinking of what Charlie can do for me, as Charlie's owner I should be thinking about what I can do for Charlie and what's best for him.
Would gender matter for a companion?
You have the right attitude. Your mother does not. :hug8:

I would suggest another male because two male lovebirds tend to have a lot less issues than introducing a female into the mix. Females are notorious for being territorial and actually pretty vicious little birds. It is not uncommon that a female will kill its mate (and others) in a confined situation.

Then you also need to worry about breeding and egg laying. Two males avoids all that.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think it would be a good thing, even if they don't get along. My lovie Henkie loves having Fëanor around(most of the time!), and my Tiel and Henkie had a very strong bond and Tiki(tiel) was sk happy that Henkie was there, though they never cuddled or Anything, when Henkie was sick and needed to be caged Tiki only left the top of the cage to drink and eat. So they could even benefit from a different species as companion(though I was just lucky that they got along).
The biggest issue you Will face, I think, Will be picking a buddy for him. It is just a random shot to wether or not they Will like each other. You can improve your chances by introducing them really slowly.
If Charlie is a male, I would go with another male. I thought Henkie was a girl, so I started looking for a mild temperd female lovie, but he turned out to be a male so I could just adopt another male. I have heard that female lovies are not as 'easy' as males with bOnding and such, but those are generalisations of course. I would personally still pick another girl if Charlie is female. I don't want to risk all the breeding issues, though both my lovies are a bit hormonal right now, and Henkie sometimes.. rides on toys or such, when he is doing that he can be a bit agressive and chase Fea away. So with two boys who happen to be very terretorial and hormonal you might still experience a lot of issues.
Good luck with your decision!

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I would always advocate for a birdy friend if you have the space, time, and money. Charlie won't lose his bond to you because another bird is around, provided you maintain a level of interaction with him. Once a people bird, always a people bird. Just be prepared for the case where you need two cages and separate out times.

Females are more aggressive, but they are still great birds and can be wonderful companions. Still, your best bet is with a male. They are generally more sweeter natured and easy going. My female is a very loving bird, but she is a handful, and can get feisty. She definitely doesn't hesitate to let you know when she doesn't like something.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Would bringing Charlie to meet a potential companion (having them both in cages with the cages close by) give a better idea if the two might get along?

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
pathogens can spread from bird to bird even though they are kept in separate cage.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Quarantine would happen once the lovebird comes home, would bringing Charlie to meet him be a bad idea then?
Quarantine means no contact. If they have already been in the same air space there is no point to a subsequent quarantine. We have just had a member who lost both his new bird and old bird. I’m thinking there was no quarantine. So yes, it’s a potentially deadly idea to have them meet beforehand.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Quarantine means no contact. If they have already been in the same air space there is no point to a subsequent quarantine. We have just had a member who lost both his new bird and old bird. I’m thinking there was no quarantine. So yes, it’s a potentially deadly idea to have them meet beforehand.
Ok we won't have them meet at all so. Charlie will have to stay home. We're probably going today to meet the new lovie. Wish me luck

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Would bringing Charlie to meet a potential companion (having them both in cages with the cages close by) give a better idea if the two might get along?
Oh heck no. Birds in new situations/places aren't going to exhibit normal everyday behaviour.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ohh today already! Tell us how it went, and Maybe a picture:D
Good luck!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ok we won't have them meet at all so. Charlie will have to stay home. We're probably going today to meet the new lovie. Wish me luck
Good luck! And shower and change when you get back after handling the lovie:)

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
While the new bird is in quarantine I was planning on splitting my time between the new bird and Charlie. Would 1-2 hours with new bird (then change of clothes and shower) and then 1-2 hours with Charlie be good? They will be on different floors of the house

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
While the new bird is in quarantine I was planning on splitting my time between the new bird and Charlie. Would 1-2 hours with new bird (then change of clothes and shower) and then 1-2 hours with Charlie be good? They will be on different floors of the house
Sounds good to me. Maybe someone more experienced will weigh in.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I’ve always taken my new bird to the vet for bloodwork gram stain etc. which is included in the well bird exam.