• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quick help on moody grey

Cog117

Checking out the neighborhood
My 5 year old CAG suddenly changed her attitude towards me completely. After having her for almost two weeks now she bonded rather quickly with me, and up until now has never showed any signs of aggression towards me. Few days ago, we had relatives over and my uncle picked her up no problem. However, afterwards she would go to him, but wouldn’t come anywhere near me and has given me the cold shoulder and has tried biting me. I give her hours of attention every day, even play with her a bit.

Also, she has been showing breeding behavior towards me since day 3 (the whole dancing and regurgitation deal.) she also acted this to him, which surprised me. I’m lost in what to do, but was wondering what could have caused this behavior

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Are you female, by any chance? She may have a preference for males. There's also the honeymoon period where they seem nice at first but are a long way from really settling in or bonding, it just seems like it. If she prefers men, having a male over just gave her a choice and she made her preference known. It doesn't mean you can't work with her, but you will have more success when there's no one else around. I would prefer it this way as they can get too lovey dovey with you, expect more of a relationship than you are able to give, then get frustrated and bite.
Even if you are male she just may have really taken a liking to your uncle.
You just need to give her lots of time and patience and start over. Don't expect anything from her. Let her get used to you and her surroundings. 2 weeks is nothing. Give it a year or more to really build a bond.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Cog117

I am a male. Her previous owners were an elderly couple, and my uncle is an elderly man as well. Perhaps she has a preference for them as it’s what she was used to?

Honeymoon period? I’m more than willing to put the time and effort in to bond with her, but it’s a bit frustrating to know the “bond” wasn’t what I had hoped. Even if it’s only been two weeks.

There’s so much more to these birds than I could have ever thought. If only I knew what went on in those little heads.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You got dumped for someone prettier. :)

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Two weeks is really a short period of time, your grey is still settling in. The bond between you and her can and will still develop, you just have to put the time in. Go at her pace :).

Cog117

For the most part, things are back to normal with her. She will let me hold her again but still does that mating dance. Oh well.

Thanks for the information everyone. It means a lot