• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

was granny a bad bird owner?

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I have a theory, Granny was neglectful in the looney tunes, now here me out, don't leave yet!

first off, Yellow canaries don't make the best pets, you can't really play with them because they have a more flight then fight instinct, so they tend to stay undomesticated. Secondly, his cage was TINY, even finches require a fairly large cage and you could tell that's where tweety slept. thiirdly, she was never around, never spending anytime with her pet, as if he was just a decoration that she didnt want gone. fourthly there where no food bowl, water bowls, or toys in his tiny cage. I would post pictures for proof but my phone doesn’t do that, but feel free to look it up yourself. I think we should all agree to call 911 for animal neglect on that horrible woman.how DARE SHE?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It might have been hard to draw food and water dishes in the cage without detracting from Tweety because, as you pointed out, it was so small! But even if we could assume they were left out for easier animation (even though the backgrounds were painted separately...) the cage is still a round cage which is bad for birds.

Many of those cartoons are very old and most of what was considered acceptable in terms of bird care has changed. We should be asking why the animators haven't seen fit to give poor Tweety a cage upgrage and at least an occasional toy with the advances in pet care. By leaving things the same, people might think it's okay to adopt a canary and keep it in a small, round cage.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Do we know where granny lived? I think we need to know her area so they can take poor tweety! She also was very irresponsible by leaving dat puddy tat in the same room as that poor bird! That cage was very insecure, tweety could easily get out of his cage.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Do we know where granny lived? I think we need to know her area so they can take poor tweety! She also was very irresponsible by leaving dat puddy tat in the same room as that poor bird! That cage was very insecure, tweety could easily get out of his cage.
well, its good that Tweety was smart enough to escape the puddy tat however I still think Granny is neglectful, when granny did help tweety she never seemed scared for tweetys life, just wanting to keep her prized possession alive.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I was confused too. I thought looney tunes was autocorrected for something here on the site. :lol:
Granny seemed to love Tweety. But she wasn’t a good owner. She didn’t protect him. And she blamed Sylvester for doing what cats do.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A lot of movies and animations with birds show completely improper setup and care. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it be anything but horrible! :shifty:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
A lot of movies and animations with birds show completely improper setup and care. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it be anything but horrible! :shifty:
It's the same thing with fish. Finding Nemo was good, they had filters, etc, but most cartoons still show goldfish in bowls. I can't stand that! :sour:

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
It's the same thing with fish. Finding Nemo was good, they had filters, etc, but most cartoons still show goldfish in bowls. I can't stand that! :sour:
Tell me about it, wish those animation directors payed closer attention to pet care, I understand if the studio didn’t have the resources or time but the should still put some sort of disclaimer that that’s not the proper way, it’s kind of depressing

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Tell me about it, wish those animation directors payed closer attention to pet care, I understand if the studio didn’t have the resources or time but the should still put some sort of disclaimer that that’s not the proper way, it’s kind of depressing
OK, lets take a deep breath...IT'S A CARTOON! I don't think anyone ever got that Granny's way of "taking care " of Tweety was the proper way of caring for a bird.
I also think maybe we should get jet propelled cages for our birds, like one cartoon showed Tweety getting. That cartoon showed Sylvester in the cage, just about to get Tweety, then letting Sylvester fall out of open bomb bay doors.

One of my all time favorite cartoons is when Tweety gets into a Jeckyll/Hyde formula, and transforms into a monster Tweety Bird. He turns the tables on Sylvester...and gets to say in a menacing voice, "You bad ol' Puddy Tat"...classic Looney Tunes.

I do consider myself a fan of Warner Brothers animation, as you probably can figure out...;)

Last edited:

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
OK, lets take a deep breath...IT'S A CARTOON! I don't think anyone ever got that Granny's way of "taking care " of Tweety was the proper way of caring for a bird.
I also think maybe we should get jet propelled cages for our birds, like one cartoon showed Tweety getting. That cartoon showed Sylvester in the cage, just about to get Tweety, then letting Sylvester fall out of open bomb bay doors.

One of my all time favorite cartoons is when Tweety gets into a Jeckyll/Hyde formula, and transforms into a monster Tweety Bird. He turns the tables on Sylvester...and gets to say in a menacing voice, "You bad ol' Puddy Tat"...classic Looney Tunes.

I do consider myself a fan of Warner Brothers animation, as you probably can figure out...;)

@cassiesdad thats the joke, of course its a cartoon and the probably didnt have the time or money to draw anything else but to say that the way animals are drawn and cared for in cartoons doesnt greatly effect how children view their pets I wpuld consider that incorrect. when I was younger I didnt think that birds required anything but food, water, and a round cage, but thats when I was a toddler and stupid, I also didnt think that fish needed alot either, kids views can be changed by what they see on TV.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I worked briefly for a traffic research place, we were always contacting organizations like Parents magazine and suggesting that they change their photos to show children CORRECTLY buckled into their carseats, instead of half falling out, straps too loose, or no straps at all!

I am calling the Parrot SPCA right now about Tweety! :hehe:

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I worked briefly for a traffic research place, we were always contacting organizations like Parents magazine and suggesting that they change their photos to show children CORRECTLY buckled into their carseats, instead of half falling out, straps too loose, or no straps at all!

I am calling the Parrot SPCA right now about Tweety! :hehe:
Good idea, GRANNY MUST BE TAKEN DOWN!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
but to say that the way animals are drawn and cared for in cartoons doesnt greatly effect how children view their pets I wpuld consider that incorrect.
I doubt if children would consider what they see in cartoons the correct way to treat or care for animals. Rabbits and ducks and pigs don't as a rule talk, drive cars, or hold jobs in offices. Coyotes don't keep falling off cliffs, to come back unscathed in the next scene.

If a child can not tell the difference between reality and fantasy, one of two things are true...one, they're very young...or two, they haven't been educated to tell the difference between the two.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I doubt if children would consider what they see in cartoons the correct way to treat or care for animals. Rabbits and ducks and pigs don't as a rule talk, drive cars, or hold jobs in offices. Coyotes don't keep falling off cliffs, to come back unscathed in the next scene.

If a child can not tell the difference between reality and fantasy, one of two things are true...one, they're very young...or two, they haven't been educated to tell the difference between the two.
I think you’re forgetting that a lot of the times it can be parents who believe that’s the minimal care. Have you ever worked retail? Adults can be stupid, man

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yes, I worked retail for many years...and I'm not going to get into a discussion on how intelligent parents are or aren't.

Warner Brothers cartoons were made for entertainment purposes, not educational purposes. There were exceptions to that rule...during World War 2, WB made educational cartoons like "How to spot a Zero" and the "SNAFU" series. These were meant for military use ONLY...not to be released to the public. They do exist as collector's items today.

I've gone on about this long enough...and it's starting to get a little irritating...so this is my last post on the matter...

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Yes, I worked retail for many years...and I'm not going to get into a discussion on how intelligent parents are or aren't.

Warner Brothers cartoons were made for entertainment purposes, not educational purposes. There were exceptions to that rule...during World War 2, WB made educational cartoons like "How to spot a Zero" and the "SNAFU" series. These were meant for military use ONLY...not to be released to the public. They do exist as collector's items today.

I've gone on about this long enough...and it's starting to get a little irritating...so this is my last post on the matter...
I never meant for this thread to get controversial, this whole thing was meant to be a joke and not taken seriously at all, but I agree. This should be the last post