• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apache & Falcon- Sad Update Post #34

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So is Leia! If you were in the UK I'd wonder if they were from the same clutch :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
More pics, and more information! :)
And great to see you back! ♥

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Falcon is doing good to. He's getting more one on one time with us because he's such a softy. He's a very delicate, shy sweet bird that often want's to participate but can't quite find the courage to do so when Apache and Chiloé are already with us. He won't impose on them in any way, always wanting to avoid conflict. I'm curious to see how his character will evolve with maturity. I'm actually hoping that he'll gain enough confidence to stand up for himself because Apache is very Alpha bird and although they get along with no agression, Falcon is clearly "dominated". He's coming out of his shell but only because I pay extra attention to him. He even took a lot of time building enough confidence to Fly around the house and land elswhere than his cage. He would fly laps and sometimes atempt to land but change his mind at the last minute. I've been working on that with him a lot, just building his self confidence so he feels comfortable to try new things. I'm happy to see him join in more and more instead of doing his thing on the side or mainly observing us. They are complete opposites but they're still friends. Not bonded like Apache and Cheyenne were but they like to spend time together. He's a very sweet bird.

Apache hasn't changed. He's getting much better with the children as in he very rarely attemps to dive bomb them (lol) and actually even interacts with my 7 year old daughter. It's good to see our daily training rewarded! it's always been mild agression when adults are there to divert his attention but he has flown on them and attempted to bite in the past. They are very good at avoiding the grumpy pi and my 4 year old has a 6th sense that ables him to duck just in time and ignore him. It's pretty much à game to him as he grew up with Apache.^^ Strangely enough they are not afraid of him and are very good at respecting all our parrots space and reading body language because of him. But still, it's good to see the little devil relaxing around them. Appart from that, he's still adorable with my husband and myself as well as a few adult family members that he knows well. He just ignores strangers, doesn't seem bothered by them. I don't know if he has a favorite person actually, he still seems to like my husband as much as me. I finaly got him to talk on cue, it's so cute!! he now waves while saying "coucou" when I wave to him. and has paired "bisous" with the kissing sound. He loves any kind of training. (Very food motivated. ^^) He hasn't exhibited any male agressive umpredictable behaviour yet, just usual hormonal strut when he's in the mood and the back turning cold shoulder when he's mad at me for something. The only time he tried to atack me was when I tried training him with a whistle instead of calling him for free flight training. He tried to murder that whistle and I very nearly got bit because I wasn't expecting his reaction. He's usualy ok with anything and accepting of changes and new things. Yeah well... he was so offended that he avoided me for a whole day and would give me the evel eye with his feathers raised and big mean wings if I tried to make nice. Oh well, all was forgiven the next morning. Lessen learned! whistles are evil. ^^ Here's a pic of cutie Falcon: 20171122_212152.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
They are GORGEOUS! I love them:heart: it is so Nicw to read about their progress!

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Oh and lastly, they now share the big aviary we made them! it has direct acces to our front room, we love it. They all come at the window when they want to come in, just like dogs. ^^ They're only caged at night as I'm to afraid to let them spend the night outside plus it's cold... better safe than sorry. I'll take pics of it all finished! we'd only finished building most of it on the only one I have. I have about the same size available on the other side with acces to our office/spare bedroom that we're hoping to turn into a macaw aviary one day... a big project for another day. (more like years)^^ IMG_45491.jpg .

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update and I love to read every word.
Falcon is very cute and looks so sweet as you describe him. ♥
And that was a great aviary, so happy that they seems to enjoy it too.
But you must learn them to bark like dogs when they want to come in. :D

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Haha! oh no, I have enough dogs barking as it is thank you. ^^ Yes Falcon is adorable. Very quiet, non destructive, never naughty... he likes just being next to us doing his thing really. He likes being walked around on our arm to but not being touched. I'm still working on desensitizing him for medical training. It's going to be a long process! he gives kisses like Apache does though. :heart:

Last edited:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Hi bird lover friends! here we are for our... anual update? I know, I know, i'm hopeless. :facepalm:I've had the most horrible year of my life to be honest... but the boys are doing great! (Chiloé to but she has her own thread in the conure section. ) They havn't changed much over time, appart from Falcon growing up and gaining confidence. He stands his ground with Apache from time to time now and chases Chiloé if she's near HIS food bowl in the aviary. They still all live together and get along even when feeling hormonal as they respect each other's space. :) I get some territorial displays in the aviary from time to time (even from sweet Falcon!) and Apache is still his moody but loving self. All three of them are a joy to have around!
Falcon: 20181017_184608-1.jpg
20181017_184701-1.jpg 20181017_185451.jpg 20181017_184751.jpg puffed up birdy. ^^
20181017_185637.jpg 20181017_184813-2.jpg 20181017_185430.jpg

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Apache doing his cute little wave.:heart: That's how he begs for treats. :rolleyes: He's messy from eating his evening sprouts, he needs a beak trim and he's molting but he's still adorable.
20181017_185053-1.jpg
20181017_185142(0)-1.jpg 20181017_185132-1.jpg
20181017_185132-1.jpg 20181017_185248-1.jpg adorable... until you make him angry. This is what mr grumpy pants looks like! "don't you dare come near me and my food with that phone of yours." If I listen to him, I don't get jumped.:laugh: It's a good job pionus body language is easy to read! 20181017_184549-1.jpg
20181017_184537.jpg 20181017_184649-1.jpg 20181017_184645-1.jpg
Now i'm going to see how you're all doing with your cuties!:grouphug2:

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
Gorgeous pics! Bronze wings are so pretty!!

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
They are! I love blue heads too. :heart:

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're stunning! I love your aviary too - they look like they're enjoying the space!

Poor Apache, he's so grumpy but he's still so cute :D

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Hello my friend Pi lovers... I've been putting this off for weeks because i'm still so traumatised... Apache and Falcon have tragically passed away. :crycry: Some kind of mustelid managed to get into the aviary at night, killed them and left them half eaten on the ground for my 9 year old daughter and myself to find in the morning. I still feel sick just thinking about it. It's such a horrid, unfair way to lose them both.

My Macaw and conure were fortunately uninjured and didn't even seem stressed out. I don't know how it managed to get my boys... they sleep huddled up together, seperate from the other two, so I guess they were both targeted at the same time. :sad11: It managed to dig under the aviary and make a hole in the floor wire mesh.

I feel very guilty for thinking it was safe enough... they've been living outside for a few years and i've never had an issue before, so I figured the mesh was secure and it was a nice way of allowing the grass to grow through. Since then, i've put a cement floor in to make sure there is no chance of anything getting in there ever again and Chiloé and Saphira sleep in the house regardless. I just can't feel safe for them at night otherwise.

We dearly miss our boys. Coming back here is bitter sweet... they were way too young, happy and healthy... I was not prepared to say goodbye and I still aren't. It still feels unreal and wrong not to have them around the house, not to smell their unique scent, not to make fun of Apache's mood swings, not to have him greet me with his waves and his "cocous", not to have sweet Falcon follow us around, not to see them boss Saphira around when they got possessive of me or food, not caring that she was so bigger than them, not to have their calm and relaxing presence among us any more, not to here Apache's kissy noises when he wanted to get my attention.

They were my first parrots and they will always have a very special place in my heart. I don't think I will ever be able to adopt another pionus parrot after going through this... but they for sure leave a big void.

SwedeBird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
:crycry::crycry: So incredibly sorry for your loss, I can only fathom how you must have felt when you discovered that horrendous scene:sad3:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Yes, it's horrible. :sad1: My children still have nightmares about the scene... and i'm not much better, especially when I get flashes of the panic they must have been in. It's impossible to get the image of their poor little bodies out of my head.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your losses.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for you loss! How tragically awful. I hope your children will be ok, I´m heartbroken for you :sadhug:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How terrible for you and your children. Fly high and free forever Apache and Falcon.