• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dry, Ruffled spot on african greys neck

Derek Ledrew

Moving in
Real Name
Derek
Hello, recently my African grey, ozzy, 2 years old, has had a little dry spot on his neck, im just curious what it is and if its serious. He isnt lathargeic or anything, he id as happy and wild as can be, heres so pictures.

Attachments

Derek Ledrew

Moving in
Real Name
Derek
Hm, i mean its been there for about a month and hasnt gotten better or worse

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
vet should be open Friday, make an appt. and let his vet check him out.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has a vet looked at that yet? Does he rub that area against anything? He could be plucking and if that is the case you want to find out why. Could be behavioral or could be a medical issue. Whether it's plucking or something else best to have him checked by a vet.

Derek Ledrew

Moving in
Real Name
Derek
Has a vet looked at that yet? Does he rub that area against anything? He could be plucking and if that is the case you want to find out why. Could be behavioral or could be a medical issue. Whether it's plucking or something else best to have him checked by a vet.
We havent taken him to the vet yet. I haven't seen him rub or try to preen that area. He is happy as can be and the spot has been there for a month maybe two, and hasnt gotten and bigger.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
We havent taken him to the vet yet. I haven't seen him rub or try to preen that area. He is happy as can be and the spot has been there for a month maybe two, and hasnt gotten and bigger.
but it's not normal so should be looked at by a vet, no? :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Also, his feathers in that area are really dry for some reason
Does your vet have a personal email for clients? Mine does so I send her pictures and discuss my concerns before going in to the appointment so she is well prepared ahead of time and has had a chance to maybe consult with an avian vet (she's not avian certified).

Derek Ledrew

Moving in
Real Name
Derek
Does your vet have a personal email for clients? Mine does so I send her pictures and discuss my concerns before going in to the appointment so she is well prepared ahead of time and has had a chance to maybe consult with an avian vet (she's not avian certified).
Not that i know of, we dont have a certified avian vet near, but the vet we go too had worked around exotic birds for awhile.

Derek Ledrew

Moving in
Real Name
Derek
Update- i called and sent pictures to my neatest avain vet, they said its most likely the weather changes and its too dry in the house, witch is most likely it since it was a really humid summer, and it started right near october when it was hot and humid to dry and cold, 60's and 50 degress, even 40's now. We will try and get a humidifier maybe?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This call is not a substitute for an avian vet exam. This is something to jump on fast so it does not get worse. I am sure you don't want to see complete feather loss to the birds chest which is a possibility. Do you spritz your bird often?

Derek Ledrew

Moving in
Real Name
Derek
This call is not a substitute for an avian vet exam. This is something to jump on fast so it does not get worse. I am sure you don't want to see complete feather loss to the birds chest which is a possibility. Do you spritz your bird often?
Once or twice a week ususlly. And yes i agree still taking him to the vet

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
That would not happen just from dry weather. He is definitely or has definitely chewed those feathers. You can see the jagged edges. The fact that he has only done it on his neck needs investigating further. Have you looked at the skin there by moving the feathers away if he allows this? I would be concerned that there may be a wound under the chewed feathers that is bothering him and causing him to pick at it. Neck irritation could also be from something he's eaten but that would most likely just be at the front by his crop. Definitely needs to be seen by an avian vet. And frankly I question the credentials of an avian vet that would tell you just by looking at a pic that it's from dry weather.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Feather chewing is very common in greys. But medical issues need to be ruled out.

Derek Ledrew

Moving in
Real Name
Derek
That would not happen just from dry weather. He is definitely or has definitely chewed those feathers. You can see the jagged edges. The fact that he has only done it on his neck needs investigating further. Have you looked at the skin there by moving the feathers away if he allows this? I would be concerned that there may be a wound under the chewed feathers that is bothering him and causing him to pick at it. Neck irritation could also be from something he's eaten but that would most likely just be at the front by his crop. Definitely needs to be seen by an avian vet. And frankly I question the credentials of an avian vet that would tell you just by looking at a pic that it's from dry weather.
Totally agree. He lets me scratch it a little bit, but he really never liked the lower sides of his necked scratched ever. It seems like normal pinkish skin under there, and the past few days it looks like he hasnt touched it and fluff and new feathers seem to be moving in, but im still going to take him to the vet as a precaution. The only food related thing i can think of is i give him cooked spaghetti noodles and a sweet potato fry once and a while when we have it for dinner, he also eats venison and chicken, etc.

Derek Ledrew

Moving in
Real Name
Derek
H
Totally agree. He lets me scratch it a little bit, but he really never liked the lower sides of his necked scratched ever. It seems like normal pinkish skin under there, and the past few days it looks like he hasnt touched it and fluff and new feathers seem to be moving in, but im still going to take him to the vet as a precaution. The only food related thing i can think of is i give him cooked spaghetti noodles and a sweet potato fry once and a while when we have it for dinner, he also eats venison and chicken, etc.
he is also a very rough player especially with his toys, so he wouldve definetly banged his neck on one of his wooden toys.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
He's chewing the feathers all the way around on his neck, so probably not food or toy related.

My TAG, Darwin, chews his feathers. It started when he was wearing a cone after breaking his wing (before I got him) but has continued as a habit ever since. He only chews the edges of the feathers and it started on his neck. He is super active, super smart, a bit OCD and gets bored very easily.