• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi all.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:welcomeflag:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello1:
:welcomesign:
Harry is beautiful!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

SandyPandy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sandy Greer
Thanks all,
Wee question for anyone..
Harry greets us when either 1 if us get home..hubby works from home and talks to him heaps and I let Harry out when I get home from and hes happy to come to us either climbs up or dances at ya feet and once I get him up and talk to him he does his garble talk and moves and asks for a kiss then takes a decent bite out of my lip nearly giving me a piercing on my lip!..and so what we have been doing is putting him in his cage once he bites hard..draws blood for time out. It seems when he gets rather boisterous on my hand waffling on & asks for a kiss gives him 1 then he tries to grab your month then climbs onto my shoulder and tastes face and then wham he bites either if us..

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Thanks all,
Wee question for anyone..
Harry greets us when either 1 if us get home..hubby works from home and talks to him heaps and I let Harry out when I get home from and hes happy to come to us either climbs up or dances at ya feet and once I get him up and talk to him he does his garble talk and moves and asks for a kiss then takes a decent bite out of my lip nearly giving me a piercing on my lip!..and so what we have been doing is putting him in his cage once he bites hard..draws blood for time out. It seems when he gets rather boisterous on my hand waffling on & asks for a kiss gives him 1 then he tries to grab your month then climbs onto my shoulder and tastes face and then wham he bites either if us..
I wouldn't let him near your face if he bites it... how often is he out of the cage per day? He could be biting for a lot of reasons. He could be overly excited to be let out of the cage, he could be upset he was in the cage so long.. he could have had bad experiences in the past with someone. Did his last owner mention this behaviour? I would try putting him on his play area for awhile when you first let him out of the cage, and just feed him treats without forcing anything on him.

you could mention his diet, cage size , toys, foraging opportunities, time asleep, time out of cage, if any other birds are nearby throughout the day , more information is needed.

Last edited:

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Welcome to AA!I I am the Adoption Coordinator for a, large and busy shelter.

I agree with advice above, you know he will bite, so simply avoid giving him the chance. He is being punished for something not his fault.

Cockatoos are exceptionally high maintenance and if someone is home, he should be out and engaged. Do you have a playstand to teach him independent play? Is his cage filled with toys and easy shred items?

Could you share a little about his daily routine? Sounds like you have some resentment or anger going on.... just need to determine what and rearrange your home and schedule to support the new baby in the family!

Congrats on the addition!

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Even my cockatiel is high maintenance because I only have one :) I have budgies but they are in quarenteen, one is hopefully getting over being sick. (Fingers crossed, he was sick for awhile but seems better the past week)

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Harry is gorgeous!
Welcome to AA.