• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too soon for a new cage?

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
Well, tonight, Vanya wanted to stay in his play area cage. I was not going to grab him and force him in the other one. He would step up on my hand or hop down to it or climb on it happily. Then as I tried to bring him into the other cage he flew back to the starting perch. Which I guess I had inadvertently taught him to do, by trying to teach him to that this is come and go back. Or, he just simply likes the other cage better. I don't know how many times he got on my hand then went back to the other perch. (just like the game we played earlier) (it went on for about a half hour before I gave up trying to put him in the tall cage)

Previously, if I put my other hand in the cage at the same time, he would move away from it. Not tonight. He just simply sat and LOOKED at it, and contentedly continued to grind his beak. He would go to my hand with the millet in it, get on the perch to go through the door, go right up to the door and fly back to the perch in the new cage.

So, he wins. I will put him in the bathroom in that cage. :lol:

I think it is probably better that I didn't force him. After all, I can be thrilled that he is not afraid of my hands. Which is the true goal. And that he will step up willingly when I press against his belly. So, I think that is what matters. If he likes this cage better, then I am glad I offered him the choice. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Is the toilet lid down?

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
Yes, But he is not in that part. It is one of those master baths with a separate toilet area. @saroj12 However, he is now scared. He is clinging to the side of the cage - I don't know what to do, just let him be? He is like a kid who wanted to spend the night in the backyard then realized it was scary. I brought the other cage into the bathroom area. But, he is just staying there in the corner. I don't know what would be the next best step.

He was NOT scared in that cage all day. or yesterday. But has not slept there.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yes, But he is not in that part. It is one of those master baths with a separate toilet area. @saroj12 However, he is now scared. He is clinging to the side of the cage - I don't know what to do, just let him be? He is like a kid who wanted to spend the night in the backyard then realized it was scary. I brought the other cage into the bathroom area. But, he is just staying there in the corner. I don't know what would be the next best step.

He was NOT scared in that cage all day. or yesterday. But has not slept there.

Can you gently get him out and put him in his old familiar cage? Or will he freak out with seeing your hands? Let me read your post above agai,

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Can you gently get him out and put him in his old familiar cage? Or will he freak out with seeing your hands? Let me read your post above agai,

Ok so sounds like you can handle him. I would put him back in the old cage for sleeping.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I could do that. No, he is now not afraid of my hands. He did the most beautiful step ups for about 30 minutes when I tried to put him in.
That’s awesome! You’ve worked wonders with him!

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
Actually I got him on my hand, he got down onto the perch, but when I put my hand around his wings, he freaked out like I was going to to kill him. He started screaming. So, I just released him when he started to thrash his wings. Mind you, I did not close my hand around him entirely. There was about a 1/2" of space, it was more to keep him on my hand than to try to hold him.

So when he began to fly around the cage, I told him what a wonderful flyer he is. And kept talking softly to him. When he settled back down, this time on the main perch, I grabbed a nightgown - it was the softest thing I could find quickly. I crumpled it in my hand, so my hand was behind it. He did back away, and this was a slow thing. I just wanted him back over toward the his regular cage - where I had put it, lined up the doors, like it had been all day and propped the doors open. Like they had been ALL day. so he can see all his stuff in there. The comfy perch where he liked to sleep, the toys he ignores, his food dish. I did have the fruits and veggies in the feeder in the cage where he was all day, plus a Vitakraft cracker stick. And, there was a bathtub with water in it, should he want a drink or get brave enough to take a bath.

He did get back up on the high perch in the play area. The natural branch one. It is like a y shape.

The light is on in the closet, and the door to that open. Both cages are covered - but not all the way. I thought I would leave him alone for about 15 minutes, then check on him.

He definitely is opinionated and has a mind of his own. I am glad that I read - I don't remember where though - that to do ANYTHING with a budgie you must have his cooperation. That IS true. @JLcribber said something similar to me here - that it must be according to the bird's timetable. He is right.

I thought (wrong) that he would want to go eat dinner in his regular place. Nope.

My concern now though is that we will have to back up a few steps. Hopefully, he will see that only upon rare exceptions would I try to just grab him. Although, I can see that in time, this will be a useful thing to be able to do - in the event his is hurt and needs medical attention, for example.

I was glad though that when I put my hand up to him - he did step on. And all was ok until I put my hand around his back. I guess he felt too confined with that.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Would he have flown off your finger if you hadn’t encircled him? Is he relaxing now? I hope I didn’t give you bad advice.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
He probably would have when we got close to the door, or at some point. That is the game we played - I am trying to teach him come to me, go back. And he would get a treat both ways.

He would not have screamed at me and panicked if I had not encircled him. He IS relaxing now. I just checked on him.

No, I don't believe the advice was bad. The fact that he got on my hand when he was scared was good. And encouraging. I think as long as he sees the encircling doesn't happen, all will be fine. :) @saroj12

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
It was the freaking out - the screaming and panicking that I believe was because of the encircling. Not the flying away part. The flying back to the perch is part of the game.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
I always tell him how well he is doing at flying - he does not fly well due to his not having his flight feathers, but his wings are gaining strength with the practice he is getting. As well as he did today - especially with the all the step ups, time out to fly will be sooner than I thought.

Really the more I think about the fact that he trusted me enough TO get on my hand when he was scared I thought was a major break through. I have on purpose not made any attempts TO touch him. I want him to come to me.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
The more I think about it @saroj12 - the more I think I had an over tired child on my hands and he quite simply had a temper tantrum. Your advice was great. I got him out of the scared place he was in. And he is now peacefully relaxing, and I hope sleeping. I left the cover part opened, so he would have a bit of a nightlight.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The more I think about it @saroj12 - the more I think I had an over tired child on my hands and he quite simply had a temper tantrum. Your advice was great. I got him out of the scared place he was in. And he is now peacefully relaxing, and I hope sleeping. I left the cover part opened, so he would have a bit of a nightlight.
I’m so glad he’s relaxed now. I keep a nestcam on my birds, day when caged and every night so I can see them sleeping.