• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN Advice

Amyloo148

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amy Cullen
We have recently been given a gorgeous Blue IRN as a Christmas present and I've never had a bird before so wanted to make sure I'm doing things right!

We've only had the bird a week (we think it' a boy) around 7/8 months old. He seems to be quite relaxed in his cage however is very skittish when we change water etc in his cage. Presuming this is just him settling in still and getting used to us. We talk to him often and he likes playing with the bells in the cage. He makes clicking noises and screeches in the morning which from the info is given, is a good sign. He also likes to climb around the cage during the day and sleep on his swing at night.

Just wanted people's advice on the best way to start handling him and how long to leave it before we do? We're getting some colourful things for his cage soon, any suggstions on what the best things to get are?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He's a handsome chap.

Sounds like you're moving the right way with him. IRNs can be a little hesitant of hands. You want to have him build trust in your-and your hands. Offer him food treats by hand...bring the food slowly around him and his cage. Model "eating" the treat...and make sure he sees you doing it. When you move your hands around him, make sure it's slowly and in plain sight.
Our IRN loved bells...he even would put his head inside the bell to sleep....he also loved shredding toys. Again, when introducing the new toys, slow and steady wins the bird...let him see you interact with the toy before putting it in his area.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Pretty normal behavior. Ringnecks don't always care for being handled. Mine likes to hang out near where I am, but not be touched or petted.
Very pretty boy. congrats !!