• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White wing dove

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Perhaps the wrong forum? It is a pigeon type bird, but wild.

Anyway, we were doing yard work, and I was cutting down a forest of dead sunflowers so we could weed wack that area. My lab flushed out an injured white wing. We have them by the dozen around here (along with collard doves). I don't think the lab originally hurt it. There was a pile of missing tail feathers (presumably hers - I'll just call her a "she") in another area of the yard this morning, and the dogs weren't out long enough then to strip her.

Anyway, I caught the bird, and put her in a netted pen with food and water, a platform and perches, and a sheltered box on the ground. No tail feathers. Seems to walk ok. Wings dishevelled, but don't seem otherwise damaged. Bird is fine hopping up on things. She can get out with a little motivation if she wants to, but the space is protected from predators. Not sure what to do next. Will look on-line later.

Hope she gets better.
Sorry, no pics available, I don't have a camera.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
White Wings are protected, is there a wildlife rescue near You? Thank you helping her.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Yikes. Wow. I didn't know that. Thought they were like the collard doves in terms of invasive status.
I'll check for a rescue. In the meantime, she is in an outside pen that has a wire spacing that these birds do come and go from, so she isn't a prisoner, assuming that makes any difference what so ever in committing a felony.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for helping her. Hope she will be OK.