• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Hello guys i don't know if this is the right place to ask this but as most of you know i have got 2 new cockatiels that i have had them for 4 months now and their wings were clipped at the shop on just their left wing and one of them is flying very well and loving life but the other one flied temporarily but now cant and has lost the ones in order to fly and have come out im not sure if they have been pulled/preened coz his moulting or how they came out in the first place but now he cant fly and he is frustrated and i feel very bad for him hes now back to being on the floor how long do i have to wait tell they are at full length.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah what birdbabe said, if they are actually gone and there are no pieces left they Will grow back pretty soon. It is so stupid that the shop Clipped just one wing, Henkie had one wing Clipped when he came to me as well, it is so dangerous he flew into a lot of things because he tried to fly.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I can't understand the reasoning for the shop clipping only one wing. I imagine it would be difficult for birds to adjust to that, even more so than with both clipped? Oh well, yes it's probably from moulting, and they will grow back in a couple months time :)

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Thanks guys what should i do about interacting with him as im scared of him trying to fly and hurting him self shall i keep him in the cage he would go mental with boredom if the other birds coming out and he isnt 100% tame yet but they are the loveliest birds i have ever had and i wouldnt change them for the world

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would let him out, but keep a close eye on him. And lots of positive reinforcement. Does he have a few flight Feathers left kn each wing? Than you can practice with him to fly, my lovie flies pretty well with Clipped wings. Just start letting him hop on your hand and back to a perch for a Treat and slowly increase the distance

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
I would let him out, but keep a close eye on him. And lots of positive reinforcement. Does he have a few flight Feathers left kn each wing? Than you can practice with him to fly, my lovie flies pretty well with Clipped wings. Just start letting him hop on your hand and back to a perch for a Treat and slowly increase the distance
the important long feathers that they are suppose to have arent their the first 2 long feathers have gone hold on i will take pictures

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Thanks guys what should i do about interacting with him as im scared of him trying to fly and hurting him self shall i keep him in the cage he would go mental with boredom if the other birds coming out and he isnt 100% tame yet but they are the loveliest birds i have ever had and i wouldnt change them for the world
What you can do if he will let you is what I call "flying" which is when your other tiel flies somewhere, have him step up and then take him to the other tiel saying fly while you do that. This way he will flap his wings, giving him exercise and he will be next to his friend so he won't be so upset. Tiels are flock birds and they become upset when they are not together.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
What you can do if he will let you is what I call "flying" which is when your other tiel flies somewhere, have him step up and then take him to the other tiel saying fly while you do that. This way he will flap his wings, giving him exercise and he will be next to his friend so he won't be so upset. Tiels are flock birds and they become upset when they are not together.
thank you they aren't very close and and the best of friends they tolerate each other but they squabble alot i just think he misses the fun of flying i have tamed the other one alot better coz he can fly away if he chooses to but now i regret ever getting them clipped before i brought them

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You can teach him to fly with that!:fairy2: My lovie could even fly a Tiny bit with no primaries, but tiels are a bit bigger So it could ve harder for him.
And you can also do what princessbella said, when he wants to fly, pick him up and take him were he wants to go:)
image.jpeg
He can even fly up with only one primary on each wing:)

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
You can teach him to fly with that!:fairy2: My lovie could even fly a Tiny bit with no primaries, but tiels are a bit bigger So it could ve harder for him.
And you can also do what princessbella said, when he wants to fly, pick him up and take him were he wants to go:)
View attachment 260966
He can even fly up with only one primary on each wing:)
thank you the best thing is that he yesterday started to use my leg to climb up with was nice at least i know i have my uses cheeky monkey yeah i will bite you but i will be your friend when i need help lol.