• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Increasing plucking

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
So, my little conure has started plucking. At first i just thought it was molting, but there is such an excessive amount of feathers on the ground that it’s not possible. (included picture of some pulled feathers) I’m pretty sure it’s from boredom, but the problem is, he doesn’t know how to play with toys! I can spend around 3-4 hours per day, but it’s not nearly enough. Once he gets over his fear of a toy, he blantantly ignores it and still will shy away from it. I have a great toy: pulled and twsted paper great to chew on, as well as other hanging objects. There aren’t any too visible bald spots yet, but it is definitely noticeable and i want to stop it before it gets worse. How can I relieve boredom of a bird who doesn’t know to play with toys? (also i am in progress of making a foraging branch but who knows how he will respond to it)

Attachments

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
Have you taken him to a vet to make sure he doesn't have any health issues
Been there, done that. she said it was from stress from his new cage but he started plucking before we even got in the new cage so I’m not sure what the problem with this is ahhh. He is perfectly healthy.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
What kind of conure? Does he like chewing anything? Even little scraps of junk mail or newspaper?

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
What kind of conure? Does he like chewing anything? Even little scraps of junk mail or newspaper?
Something weird he does like to do is chew towels, but i don’t think it would hold his attention for a whole day. Do you think multiple would help? He loves to tug at his towel and tear it up.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I would be careful with towels as you don't want him to accidentally ingest the fibers, can cause numerious health problems. What about softer woods like balsa, or maybe sea grass mats?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A bird in the wild will spend it's day flying, mating, socializing, looking for food, destroying - so what does your bird do all day? How long is he in the cage? What is his diet like? How long is he by himself everyday? Is he clipped? Is he food motivated? Are there foraging opportunities available? What kinds of toys are available to him?

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
A bird in the wild will spend it's day flying, mating, socializing, looking for food, destroying - so what does your bird do all day? How long is he in the cage? What is his diet like? How long is he by himself everyday? Is he clipped? Is he food motivated? Are there foraging opportunities available? What kinds of toys are available to him?
He is in the cage most of the time, he doesn’t like being out of it. His diet is mainly pellets with fruits and vegetables, he was clipped but they have grown out, and he is very food motivated. I generally hide a few sunflower seeds in his food each morning for him to pick at.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would leave his cage door open as much as possible, even if he doesn't come out, he will appreciate the option. Start hiding his sunflowers around his cage, not just in his food. That takes 6 seconds to find. Make him work for his treats! My birds have to go hunt for their nutriberries every day. You can use stuff like this to b a gateway into true foraging, as they can still see the food. Intro to Foraging Easy Foraging Toy with Plastic Cups and

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
I would leave his cage door open as much as possible, even if he doesn't come out, he will appreciate the option. Start hiding his sunflowers around his cage, not just in his food. That takes 6 seconds to find. Make him work for his treats! My birds have to go hunt for their nutriberries every day. You can use stuff like this to b a gateway into true foraging, as they can still see the food. Intro to Foraging Easy Foraging Toy with Plastic Cups and
Thank you so much!! I’m going to be getting and making him many foraging toys!

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
My one issue is with leaving the door open, as he still doesn’t know how to fly well and sometimes tries to follow me out of a room but flaps into a corner etc. He loves seeds yet is not dedicated to step up for one, sigh.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My one issue is with leaving the door open, as he still doesn’t know how to fly well and sometimes tries to follow me out of a room but flaps into a corner etc. He loves seeds yet is not dedicated to step up for one, sigh.

When a toddler learns to walk, they fall. Your bird will never learn to fly if it is not allowed the chance to practice.

I have an untamed Quaker. He has been here two years Sept and just finally flew to me for food. He won't step up either. But, he will forage.