• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brotogeris... are they all so loud?!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How is it that the smallest bird in our house is the loudest? :what:

We recently accepted a little, 1 year old canary wing. His owner's amazon hated him and acted out whenever she would hold him. She said little Owen was the sweetest thing and loved to sing and would probably love to have other small birds to sing with. All of those things are true, but his call is so loud and shrill you can't hear yourself think!! :shocked4: How do those of you with brotogeris (pl?) deal with it?

Owen has only been with us for a week and I feel horrible for it, but he's so loud that we've already had thoughts of rehoming the little guy to someone on here who has these birds and is used to them. When he's on your shoulder he makes the most adorable, soft beeping sound. But he's not content to be held or sit with you for long before he starts preening your hair at the roots (but not pulling any out, though it feels like it) and then he heads back to his cage for his next performance.

Our macaw's knee-melting death-screams are the loudest, but they last less than a second and he rarely does it. We have a new 'too and her banshee yells are longer and more frequent than the macaw (whenever her highness wants something) then she goes back to her quiet self. We have gotten used to our green cheeks voices and Scotty's constant singing to the point we don't even realize he's doing it sometimes. But Owen's singing seems endless. (He is quiet for a long time, too, but when he starts singing again it feels like he never stopped. :arghh:) And while we're glad that he's so happy that he wants to sing on his swing all day, the pitch is so high and piercing that it is very hard to take. I think it would be easier in a dedicated bird room or an aviary, but we're about a year away from buying a house yet. I was hoping for a singing buddy for Scott, but I'm not sure we can take it.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My first bird besides budgies was a Bee Bee Parrot I called Ralph. From what I remember he was very loud for such a small guy but once he decided I was ok he was very loving. At first all we had were battles but then I buckled down to work with him and we became friends. After having Maxis for years and finally seeing one at a bird shop I didn't remember him being so small. Must have been that typical raptor attitude the small guys have making him seem huge as a kid.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Porter is loud but we curtail it by keeping him with us. I trained him to sing like the Budgies though XD

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
They are the loudest because they are the smallest, they have to capture your attention. Has it gotten any better? Maybe over time you will get use to it or maybe he will settle down if the behavior isn't encourage. Fingers crossed! Ear plugs anyone?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Fingers crossed. He just seems so darned happy it's hard to wish him quiet, but it's hurting our heads. :faint:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I THINK once Ralph decided we were friends he didn't scream all the time anymore, just when he wanted attention or something but he was always out with me so it was a lot better. I think I was maybe 11 or 12 when I got him for 16 bucks back in the early 70s.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I hope that's the case. His owner seemed excited about him having a singing buddy, maybe he is, too. We might really have to go the earplug route like @feathergirl suggested. It's that bad! :depressed:

We talked about moving Scott and Owens cages to the kids' room since they're hardly over and my husband said that wouldn't be fair to Scott. :roflmao:

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
I hope that's the case. His owner seemed excited about him having a singing buddy, maybe he is, too. We might really have to go the earplug route like @feathergirl suggested. It's that bad! :depressed:

We talked about moving Scott and Owens cages to the kids' room since they're hardly over and my husband said that wouldn't be fair to Scott. :roflmao:

Sometimes that buddy system turns out to be a competition! I so hope that he settles down for you....and soon!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Yikes! So he may chirp more and louder with a friend but be more tolerable alone? That's a terrible choice. :(

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's very clear when he wants to come out, he goes to the front of his cage by the door and hops right out! He doesn't want out often, maybe once a day? When he's anywhere else in his cage, especially on his swing, he wants to be left alone to sing. I figure when he gets used to us he'll calm down and want out more. :fingerscrossed:

I feel like a parent whose child wants to grow up to be a singer but can't carry a tune in a bucket; you want to be supportive because it makes them happy but you just can't stand it.
:batonthehead:

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
He's very clear when he wants to come out, he goes to the front of his cage by the door and hops right out! He doesn't want out often, maybe once a day? When he's anywhere else in his cage, especially on his swing, he wants to be left alone to sing. I figure when he gets used to us he'll calm down and want out more. :fingerscrossed:

I feel like a parent whose child wants to grow up to be a singer but can't carry a tune in a bucket; you want to be supportive because it makes them happy but you just can't stand it.
:batonthehead:

I don't know... you have a 50/50 chance that it could get better or it could get worse if you get him a partner. My experience with kids and birds is any time there is more than 1 there is a little bit of competition. If you are having a hard time with his singing now, imagine 2 of him singing? Ear plug the singing and run with the treats when he stops :D lol

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Brotogeris parrots closest relative is the Quaker... maybe that explains it? Delilah doesn't yell a huge amount, but it's certainly substantial!!!

I think it will go down with time, Delilah now just contact calls when we leave the room :)

Congrats on the little one! I love these guys so much (then again, I'm extremely biased...)