• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

window play area ideas

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
i hope this is the right place to post this :)

i'm thinking of making my 2 cockatiels a play area attached to the window.
after looking through the forum i've come up with this idea:

i'm thinking of hanging an old cage's grate from the window using suction cups. in the same manner this is hanged . in case the suction cups weren't strong enough for it i'm thinking of buying or making a few shower perches to stick to the window.

than i'd stick some more suction cups to the window above the grate and hang toys from them.

the reason i'm thinking of a window play area is because the house i live in now is rented and it's walls and ceiling are cemet, so i don't want to go around drilling in screws or hooks.

has anyone had any experience with such a thing and have anything they can recommend regarding it? or does anyone have a better idea of executing it? i'd love to hear your opinion!

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Do you have curtains or blinds in the room? I don't rent but my birds are by the window. I've got a small net made of twine that I hang from the curtain rod. I used the twine to tie it up and hang. It is like a fishnet and loose so they can hang out and play. You can hang all your toys from it too. Let me know if that can work for you.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I have also been trying to figure out a good window play area for my tiels! However, in my apartment, I am allowed to drill holes! I've been thinking of maybe creating a little window sill shelf as a play area. I've also contemplated putting up a consul table next to the window and putting a foraging tray on it. Then I was thinking of using a curtain rod for some hanging toys, or something like that. But your suction cup idea looks like WAY less work! Haha.

Do you have curtains or blinds in the room? I don't rent but my birds are by the window. I've got a small net made of twine that I hang from the curtain rod. I used the twine to tie it up and hang. It is like a fishnet and loose so they can hang out and play. You can hang all your toys from it too. Let me know if that can work for you.
I would LOVE to see that! Do you have any pictures? I don't have curtain rods installed yet, but like I said, I am allowed to drill holes and install one if I want. :)

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Better yet if they allow you to put in a rod!! The shelf around the top of the window sounds more than fantastic and they can have a bird's eye view of the room. I'm trying to convince my husband of a "project" to do the same thing around the tope of the whole room so they can just run around the room and fly too. I'll send you a photo in the morning if you don't mind. I have to take down the net in the early afternoon when they go outside to play. I use the two hours while they are outside to get it down and clean the window, sill, carpet, wall, bed, table, everything! My birds throw food around the room and it's very very messy and they just had strawberries the last two days. I would plastic guard everything if it wasn't so dangerous so I could just hose it down once a day.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Better yet if they allow you to put in a rod!! The shelf around the top of the window sounds more than fantastic and they can have a bird's eye view of the room. I'm trying to convince my husband of a "project" to do the same thing around the tope of the whole room so they can just run around the room and fly too. I'll send you a photo in the morning if you don't mind. I have to take down the net in the early afternoon when they go outside to play. I use the two hours while they are outside to get it down and clean the window, sill, carpet, wall, bed, table, everything! My birds throw food around the room and it's very very messy and they just had strawberries the last two days. I would plastic guard everything if it wasn't so dangerous so I could just hose it down once a day.
No worries! Take your time with the photo. It sounds like you have quiet a system! :)

Akoni

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole

Greencheek Lee

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I have shower perches in my windows. Most have hooks rounded at the end which I hang toys. I also attach ropes between them by those. From the bar that hangs the drapes I hang toys down from ropes that they can play with or climb up on. I also have a shelf I bought on amazon that sticks to another window by suction cups (made for shower). I wrapped the stainless steel with vet wrap and have balsa blocks on it. They love to have their food up there. Green cheeks are relatively light so that helps.

Amazon.com: Vieworld Wall Mounted 2-Tier Suction Storage Rack, 2 Hooks, Stainless Steel: Home & Kitchen

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I bought the rope on amazon and made the net because I wanted to use natural fibers. I'm embarrassed to say this but the rope I purchased, because I know you will ask, is bondage rope. (totally embarrassed)

Amazon.com: Shibari 100% Natural Hemp Rope, 10 Meters (32ft): Health & Personal Care

I watched a youtube video on making loose nets. That's why I just tie it up and let it kind of hang. I just untie in the evening, wash what I need and hang overnight to dry.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What a great thread! I love these ideas. I have sliding doors across 2 rooms, one is stationary because I have the dog door panel in it. So that'd be a perfect place to put...something. My dock is being rebuilt and 2 birds were watching out that window yesterday.

I will say though. My tiels used to land on the transom window up high, and they found little spots to chew the paint!!! Even though you cover things they manage to get into trouble.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I forgot I have to take Sola and Diablo to the doctors today. I couldn't put up the hemp net since I have to take it down soon but I'll take photos tomorrow. But my hubby just reminded me that we used to use bungee cords! We re-created the bungee playground (easy to take down and wash and put back up). I took some photos and our birds playing. They remembered it!! They hate new things. It took us about 2 weeks for them to be comfortable enough to fly around and test everything with this one when we first made it. They crack me up because even though they trust me, they don't trust our human construction, smart birds!!

I had to do this because our parrotlets are kind of "bite" birds. They don't like being handled too much. They're kind of the bosses although I'd give Sola a run for his money right now. He's holding his own! I have to always watch as I'm afraid someone's toes will get nipped with Diablo and Carmen, we've all had it done to us. We still play with them, all of us, that's what family does.

Attachments

datlamb

i just bought an adjustable curtain rod to hang up there! i thought of using it as a perch but i think hanging a net from it will be a much better idea. thank you so much!

I bought the rope on amazon and made the net because I wanted to use natural fibers. I'm embarrassed to say this but the rope I purchased, because I know you will ask, is bondage rope. (totally embarrassed)

Amazon.com: Shibari 100% Natural Hemp Rope, 10 Meters (32ft): Health & Personal Care

I watched a youtube video on making loose nets. That's why I just tie it up and let it kind of hang. I just untie in the evening, wash what I need and hang overnight to dry.
this is a great plan!
if i may ask, after tying the rope into a net what were the net's dimensions?
do you still have the youtube video that you can link me to?

i also wonder, will the birds also want some perches in the net play area? or will the net provide enough places to perch on?

i've ordered some bird toys and can't wait for it all to arrive so i can begin assembly! i've also contacted some ebay sellers to see if the parrot rope nets they sell is untreated

thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas and enthusiasm! i'll keep you all updated on how the construction goes

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I used to put a shower perch on the window and then hang a toy above it (using a suction cup). Lucky, my very wet Budgie, is modelling it below.
IMG_3140.JPG

At a SWS, I was lucky enough to grab a Wingdow on sale, so this is what I mostly use now.
IMG_6576.JPG

IMG_6223.JPG

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
This video shows you in two colors how to make the net. Mine is about 4 x 5 feet and I just tie the tops to the curtain rack I have hung up on top. The bottom, I posted one to the bedpost and the other to the desk. Both are tied. They jump around it all day both on the window side and room side. Below them are the cages. Like I have hung with the bungee cords when I do it temporarily. I hose it and wash it with vinegar/water in the even and dry. I will be making another one soon because they chew it up! All the time and you will have to mend.

datlamb

So I got the nets! The toys are still on the way.

The net is much thinner than I anticipated. So instead if hanging it vertically, I attached them both to the cage. So the top one will be to hang toys from and the bottom for standing on (hopefully. I don't know if maybe it's too thin for them to be able to stand on)

20171019_103945.jpg 20171019_103937.jpg

Maybe I'll buy another one to intertwine with the bottom net so the gaps aren't so wide.

Whenever the birds decide to explore it I'll update you guys on how well this setup works!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Love it! Happy is like I am enjoying my millet hmmmm, hey don't disturb me! Hmmmm millet! Love her little face!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Poor Hopi! You'll get the hang of it!