• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Time

Do you like making foraging toys?

• Total voters

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I cast my vote as a non-toy or foraging toy maker but my daughter just reminded me I made little cut out windows on a used toilet paper roll, stuffed it with toilet tissue and millet. I would just keep re-stuffing it with something different every day. It was one of the ways I got my guys to eat veggies. One day millet, next day veggie and they found they liked veggies too.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
I cast my vote as a non-toy or foraging toy maker but my daughter just reminded me I made little cut out windows on a used toilet paper roll, stuffed it with toilet tissue and millet. I would just keep re-stuffing it with something different every day. It was one of the ways I got my guys to eat veggies. One day millet, next day veggie and they found they liked veggies too.
Nice, I've done similar before except with some non-toxic colored construction paper to make it more interesting. :)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I "make" foraging toys for Chirp, but they're usually pretty simple, like small cupcake liners with a piece of millet. Almost every toy I make can be a foraging toy if you tuck a treat in it!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I wish I was that creative. I will buy foraging toys and do a couple of simple foraging things that work for my flock. Wish I was as imaginative as others though

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Looks awesome!! I sometimes will fold the top of the cup down to close it a bit and put it smaller holes and make them rip it open to get the goodies too!

I would take the climbing clips out of their cage tho, I don't believe those are a bird safe metal and the colorful coating usually comes off and I'd assume isn't safe for birds to ingest.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I love making foraging toys, when I know I am going to be short on time I Will watch two episodes of a serie I love, or a movie and just make toys while watching:D I make little Rolls of newspaper with seeds inside, toilet Rolls with the openings closed with a bit of seed, I have made Some foraging devices for them, boxes stuffed with newspaper packages with a treat inside(they haven't grotten this one down yet), I have several baskets and cups and such with beads in it in which I can hide food, and the current favorite are two plates with pebbles with a few seeds and small toys on them. That's about all I can think off right now!
I love the ideas here! I have so Many ideas I have not tried yet:D I have to make a list of ideas I Think!
(I was looking for a phone of the newspaper toll thing but found a few others, Maybe someone can use those ideas for their fids:)

image.jpeg
This is one of their plates, they also love those paper balls with a few seeds inside them!

image.jpeg
This one is coffeefilters with treats inside in a larger paper bag I folded. I do this so they can get used to ripping the paper up before I move on to the cardboard boxes image.jpeg
They can mess with flowers for hours, that counts as foraging too I think
image.jpeg
Ah finally a newspaper roll, I hope you can see a bit what I mean, I cut long strips of newspaper in the length, put seeds on one end en then just roll it up

Hope someone found a new idea to try with their babies:)

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
If Sherbie even catches a glimpse of the coffee filters I use, she will scream her fool head off until you stuff treats in it and wedge it between the cage bars. She LOVES attacking them.

I'm still trying to get Rupert used to foraging. He's such a piglet that once he realizes it's got food in it, he's all ears. I gave him a little bowl with balsa blocks, a foraging ball, and sprinkled sunflower seeds. I came home to an empty bowl and a big balsa confetti mess. I made him a larger foraging setup but he's terrified of it. I bet by the end of tomorrow he'll have dug in to it... he's just sheepish.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
We make foraging toys out of egg cartons, dixie cups, and paper. The flock usually gets at least one of these options placed in a different area of the cage everyday. We prep about two weeks worth at a time and keep them in sealed bags. Use a little bit of everything inside of them, including pellets, sunflower seed, Nutriberries, almond slices, fot toys, etc.