• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many People can do this.

Can you get your bird to step up from inside the cage without get biten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I remember when I was first learning about parrots hearing, from multiple sources, how you should not let a bird out of his/her cage unless he/she steps up on you so that you can be the one to let it out. I thought it was ridiculous then, and I think it is more ridiculous now!!! No one needs to 'control' their bird to live with harmony with him/her. I've learned from my two birds just how essential respect is to developing a good relationship.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I can't vote anymore, but as someone who owns a 20 yo bird who has lived in who-knows-how-many homes, I open the door and let him come out. If he is happy in his cage, great! If he wants out, he comes out. I CAN reach in and he will step up but what's the point? If someone forces me to do something I will resent them. Same applies for birds, especially ones with trust issues. I've had a roller coaster ride with my guy learning all of these wonderful things ;)

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo is always keen to get out of his cages and has no issues stepping up if he so desires. Albeit, he is usually at the door before you can even get near his cages! So no probs here! Guess I must be one of the lucky ones! :)

G

Genie

Please vote, don't just leave comments
I tried to vote but the options are not live.
One of the first things I did with my Macaw was to teach him to get on my hand, inside his cage.
This shows him that I am confident with him & not a threat to him.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I tried to vote but the options are not live.
One of the first things I did with my Macaw was to teach him to get on my hand, inside his cage.
This shows him that I am confident with him & not a threat to him.
Welcome! This thread is four months old, so the poll has ended.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Cheeky comes close to the door and waits for me to reach in for her. If she doesn't want to come out she gives me a soft bite and I leave her alone and try a little later. No problem with my reaching in to clean things.

G

Genie

Cheeky comes close to the door and waits for me to reach in for her. If she doesn't want to come out she gives me a soft bite and I leave her alone and try a little later. No problem with my reaching in to clean things.
Perfect ! We do basically the same. Leave the decision up to the parrot.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
All of ours, including our chickens come out on their own. They sure are happy to see me in the morning or if I come into their room and they are caged as they know I'll let them out. They can't wait!