• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Linnies (Pics)

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Hi guys,
I posted a while ago asking for Linnie advice. Well, after much research and planning and saving, I'd like you to meet my two little boys Toki (left) and Pickles (right)! image.jpeg

They're brothers, 12 weeks old, and awfully sweet. I've not let them out of their cage just yet (it's only day 3) as I want them to get used to us first. I'm having trouble getting them to eat their pellets (Harrison's fine) but I've mixed them in with their seed, they should eventually go for them. Pickles is the bolder of the two, and doesn't seem nervous at all, yet Toki is a bit of a fraidy-bird and hides behind his brother when he's unsure. So glad I got them, they've been a joy!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Oh my! Very nice to meet you! Nice to meet Toki and Pickles too! They are too adorable! :faint:

Have you tried crumble form instead of pellets? My parrotlets will not eat the pellets. If I buy nutriberries with pellets (not crumble), they spit it out. LOL.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. They are very cute.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Welcome to Toki and Pickles!! :heart: They sure are cute. I have always had a big soft spot for linnies.

Definitely be persistent when it comes to pellets, and try them all different ways. Harrison's also offers a mash that you can sprinkle all over their seeds so that they get used to the taste, and they also have bird bread too.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome to you, Pickles and Toki! I am looking forward to seeing all the progress you are going to make with your little buddies!

Limnori

Meeting neighbors
Theyre both really cute! :) congratulations - my Linnie still wont eat pellets except the ones in nutriberries!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I really like the green colored Linnies as it is their natural color. I have mixed the seed blends with the pellets. They cant help but eat some of the pellets along with the seed. Please make sure your environment is "bird safe" for flying. Windows covered and same for mirrors. With a bird who is new to flying I have always taken them into a small room first such as the bathroom to observe the flight and landing skills. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are super cute :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're so cute!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They are sooooooo cuuute.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
They are so adorable! Congratulations. I look forward to hearing about their adventures.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Don't you just love the noises they make. Like a warbly chortle something

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi Grace, Welcome!!! And welcome to your new "babies" too! :) Toki and Pickles. Yes, the green Linnie's are really pretty too. Last October my baby Linnie's were hatched. It took me a long time to save up to buy them too. hahaha, but they are worth every penny. It was really hard to wait for them to arrive here at my house. They were eating well and ready to come to me Dec. 28th I think....It was so exciting to bring them home at last. I know how you are enjoying them!! One of mine began to talk within a few months (mine are brothers too) The one that talks is the more relaxed one, just like yours, one of mine was more of a scared bird too. He has come a long way on trusting me this year though. Now when he sits on my finger he doesn't hold on so tight, he's much more relaxed. I hope you enjoy your boys as much as I do mine. :) Best Wishes from me and Zoolie & Rizzie.

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Thanks everyone!

Update - the other night we opened the cage door for the first time to let them explore the (bird proofed) flat. They were too shy to come out! I moved the food dish to the cage door, and eventually they ate outside the cage. Toki had a little explore around the outside of the cage, but didn't fly away. They're still wary of my hands, but will step up onto a perch, and eat apple from my hand.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

I've also ordered some Nutriberries to see if they'll take them better than the Harrison's pellets, as well as a mini UVB lamp. A problem I'm encountering is that when it comes to fresh produce, they seem to reject everything but apple (kids, eh?). They'll take a bite out of carrot, bell pepper, blueberries and spinach, but then spit it out. For now I've caved and given them apple just so they're eating fresh food of some kind, but I'm worried about how long this stubbornness will last!

They're brilliant little guys though. My partner, who was sceptical at first, is now absolutely in love with them. They like to chatter with us and eat when we do, and are mostly settling in very well.