• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too late for trust?

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I am almost positive this is the correct forum to ask this on because it has something to do with behavior however if it is not let me know and Ill move it to the correct area. My rosy-faced lovebird hasn't been out of his cage in two weeks and I believe it is because of a lack of trust towards me, I have had Leo for over a month and for the first few weeks he had no problem leaving his cage or perching up but after an incident with the dog and my moving him into my room two weeks ago he hasn't wanted to leave his cage. He still wants to talk to me and we quite frequently get into "chirp offs" where we compete on who has the better chirps and whistles (he always wins) however when I try to approach his cage he backs off into the opposite end of his cage. I used to keep his cage door closed while I went to school however after he found a way to escape through his bars (luckily my bedroom door was closed so he didn't meet my dog again) I have left his cage door open so he can explore his surroundings as he pleases. I believe he won't escape again because he is still quite young and will grow bigger so he wont fit through anymore. Leo tends to chirp all day however when I enter my room he shuts up. Is it to late for him to trust me? I've been talking with him, and reading to him (though he doesn't appear very interested in animal farm) and have been placing my hand in his cage for five minutes every day so gets accustomed to my hand being friendly. I have also placed some treats for him around my room to encourage him to explore but he just doesn't want to leave his cage. please help.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
So many birds are lost to dogs and cats. Your bird is very lucky.

It's not too late and you will just have to be patient with your bird. He had a near death experience and you were probably somehow connected with that experience. You can try attaching a perch to the door of his cage and he may choose to come out on that with some encouragement by you with treats. Put the treats in his cup - not around the room. Talk, talk, talk to him.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi! It is not too late. You're doing all the right things. I read this forum aloud (along with expressions, a lot of hand gestures, and silly comments) and books.

You haven't had him very long so he is still getting to know you. Keep the dog away!!! That's number one. The dog can kill your bird.

How far apart are his cage bars? You are righ that he will grow, but he also could get his head stuck between the bars and not be able to get out.

Try putting your hand in with treats in it for about 10 min. 3 times a day minimum. Plus every so often just drop a treat in his cup. You want him to know you are a great friend! Talk softly or sing to him, but don't stare straight at him or he will feel scared.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I don't think it's too late, either. My tiel had a little tumble in the shower and she didn't want to come out of her cage for a few days. Just do what everyone else says and leave his cage door open when you're home to supervise, he'll come out when he's ready.