• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Slowly but surely ....

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So Lagatha has been my lovely companion that I have never been able to touch or see her come out of her cage more then just on her door perch for the last almost 2 yrs but we love her all the same she is such a joy to have around the house ...but recently she has been coming out more and more out of her shell and her cage ...she has been on top of her door now for about 3 weeks when its out of cage time and today she actually is out on top of her cage ...my heart is singing her for ..I am so happy she has taken this huge step of trust ...you just never know when they are going to take that leap of faith and actually trust you :heart::heart::heart::heart:

20170924_143602.jpg 20170924_143616.jpg 20170924_143612.jpg

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Awe that's fantastic! Thank you for giving her the time she needs! Many people would have given up!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Oh no ..would never ...even If I never get to touch her she has a special place in my heart ..I just love seeing her come out of her shell and take these steps ...she is a very neat bird and makes me smile every day ... :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch came out ONCE when he first got here because he liked something about my mom, then he didn't come out again for 6 months. After that he started doing like Lagatha, I get on the door, then on the top, then on a chair somewhat close to you, and finally on the chair with me and then his play perch stand. That probably took like a year and after about 5 he mostly decided we were friends.
Just take the long term and you'll slowly earn her trust just like I did with Lurch and every little breakthrough was a thrill.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats! That is wonderful! Every little step is something!
Just the other day Quack was leaning in to kiss me and did it several times in a row. Usually I lightly touch her beak and kiss her at the same time but this was all her and no hands involved. Then a day or 2 later she put her head down while sitting on my lap and let me rub her head. She did that a few times. I give her head rubs every day at bedtime while she's on her cage door perch and sometimes while she's on top of her play stand. But usually when she's on my lap or on a chair with me there is a no touching rule. So this is progress. :)

I've had Quack for over 6.5 years.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have never been as happy to see one of my birds make such a step as I am about Lagatha making this one ...even though she has never let me touch her we do have a strong bond ..all I have to do is say certain words and she know when its time to come out of her cage and the same for when she knows when its time to go in her cage ...she is very smart ..she loves treats from my hand and gets very excited when she sees the treat dish ...we chatter back and forth even though she doesnt talk ...yet.. I know she is trying ...all and all she is just a lovely bird ..I would not trade her for anything :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwww. Progress is sweet.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Way to go, Lagatha! :starshower:That is awesome!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yay!

How did you keep her from eating that lovely wood though!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month