• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time training a budgie

rrossignole

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nikita
Hello, new Budgie owner here. I'm currently in the process of training my new feathered friend and since it's my first time doing something like this, I just wanted to get some feedback on how I've been doing so far.

I've had Emi for almost a month now and I think I've made pretty good progress so far. She is able to confidently eat millet out of my hand and seems comfortable in my presence. I've started moving on to trying to get her to step up since she seems so confident eating from my hand. So far, she's done it once, to which I've praised her and given her lots of treats.

However, ever single attempt made at getting her to step up after the last one has failed. She seems okay with me touching her, but the second I push up a little she kind of just climbs over to a different perch. I'm holding the millet in a way that she has to climb on my finger to eat it properly, but she's still very hesitant.

I'm thinking that I've been doing okay with training her so far, but since I'm a total newbie with Parakeets I wanted some feedback. Should I just be patient with her, or should I change up my tactics a little?

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
Welcome!
It will take time, im not sure if theres a "right" way to train budgies, but when i had a couple, thats how i trained them aswell!
Id say patience is the key, and keep trying.
One thing i will say though is that when you do get her on your finger, hold still and dont
Try to take her out. It will be a good trust exercise.
Also, you can research a bit online too (and the fourms) for training tips
Good luck, make sure to post updates or ask any other questions you have ! :D

rrossignole

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nikita
Little update!

My budgie seems to be a lot more comfortable getting on my finger now after several tries. I even got her to get on my finger while she had her out of cage time! She was so comfortable that she stayed on my finger as I guided her back to her cage after a few hours of playtime outside of it.

Overall, I'm feeling really confident in the bond we're developing together! I'm going to keep getting her to step up until she's 100% comfortable for me to take her out of the cage while she's on my finger :)