• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this normal?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hi all. A few days ago, I noticed a small yellowish bump on Chirp's chest. My dad is gonna call in the morning and see what the vet says and try to get an appointment, but until then, I'd like to ask you guys. So, if the photos will actually work, here's a couple of pictures:

I used a wet cotton ball to push the feathers aside. Like I said, we're calling the vet in the morning, but for now, I'm not sure what to make of this.

He's not acting out of the ordinary, he's flying and climbing around like the energetic boy he is, he's on a good diet and he gets lots of attention and good sleep.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about putting in the false bottom and putting in the heat pad. Thoughts?

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like a feather cyst, formed from an ingrown feather. The vet should be able to lance it with a needle and clean it out.

ETA: I don't think you need to do anything special with care in the meantime. It might be a tiny bit uncomfortable for him but it's not like a systemic illness or injury.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Looks like a feather cyst, formed from an ingrown feather. The vet should be able to lance it with a needle and clean it out.

ETA: I don't think you need to do anything special with care in the meantime. It might be a tiny bit uncomfortable for him but it's not like a systemic illness or injury.
Well, that put my wandering mind at ease! I'm hoping you're right, and that it's just easily taken care of by the vet. I'll be sure to update once we get an appointment, they're usually pretty good about getting folks in the same day.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad it's probably nothing serious!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So my dad called the vet. He described it to the receptionist as "a small bump, possibly a feather cyst" and I guess she said something along the lines of "No, I think it's a blood feather." (Don't worry, the actual vets and vet techs aren't anywhere near as clueless) Now, as I'm sure most bird-owned humans have, I've dealt with blood feathers numerous times, and I am 100% it's not that. But she said if it would make us comfortable, we can make an appointment anyway, which I think would be a good idea.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
So my dad called the vet. He described it to the receptionist as "a small bump, possibly a feather cyst" and I guess she said something along the lines of "No, I think it's a blood feather." (Don't worry, the actual vets and vet techs aren't anywhere near as clueless) Now, as I'm sure most bird-owned humans have, I've dealt with blood feathers numerous times, and I am 100% it's not that. But she said if it would make us comfortable, we can make an appointment anyway, which I think would be a good idea.
You should go to the vet. Even if it's a feather cyst, I would not recommend you trying to get rid of it alone.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You should go to the vet. Even if it's a feather cyst, I would not recommend you trying to get rid of it alone.
Believe me, I don't plan on trying to. We get our money on the 1st, so we'll make an appointment then.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I just checked, and the bump (possible feather cyst) is still there. Today we're calling and making an appointment, they open at 8.

ETA: I know Chirp always gets stressed after going to the vet, so I'm trying to think of ways to keep him chilled out. Probably just the standard calm and quiet, maybe I'll throw on the tv to weather channel or something.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The receptionist talked with Chirp's vet, and she said it's probably a fatty tumor and that it's no big deal because birds, especially budgies, get them all the time. Don't know how true that is, but ok? She said she still wants to see him. Made an appointment for this Friday at 10 am. Will update after.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Just got back from the vet! So the vet checked it out, and she said it's definitely not a fatty tumor, she was expecting something different. So she showed the other exotics vet, and they came to the conclustion it probably is a feather cyst. She also said that with how it's affecting him (which is not at all) it's NOT cancer! :starshower1:So she came up with an estimate for if I wanted to have it removed, with surgery costs, medication for after, and if we chose to have a biopsy (which was the most expensive part, at 147$ :shocked2:)

But seeing as it's getting smaller, she said just to monitor it, and if it's growing or changing or bothering CHirp, then we'll have it removed. So, it's all good for the moment :)

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She should be able to just lance it with a needle, not do actual surgery. Can you get a second opinion?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
She should be able to just lance it with a needle, not do actual surgery. Can you get a second opinion?
Not really, seeing as this is the only exotics vet within an hour and a half. She wasn't really pushing for surgery, in fact, she encouraged us to just keep an eye on it. That's what we'll be doing, and believe me if I think something is up we'll be taking him back in. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good news. Good that it is getting smaller. That can happen with feather cysts.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Just checked it, still there, still same size. Not bothering him though. There is another one, that is small and next to his keel, on the same side but further down. :eek: We'll call the vet on Monday.

Now, time for the stress to kick in! Oh joy. :shrug:

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I hope the other one is nothing serious either!

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Wow darn feather cysts! How old is your precious one?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Wow darn feather cysts! How old is your precious one?
I'm not sure, when I got him his bars were in the middle of fading. I've had him since May 23rd, 2016. So young adult is best guess.