• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AquaLift self clean Whirlpool oven

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does anyone have one of these?

I briefly read that the self clean feature is 200 degrees with water? Would that be safe for birds since we generally use oven hotter than that?

@saroj12 @Macawnutz @JLcribber @Hankmacaw

Sorry, I'm just anxious.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Technically it should be safe. I don't like self cleaning anything so never use it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry, I have never heard of it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Technically it should be safe. I don't like self cleaning anything so never use it.
I don't intend to if the parrots are in the house. I just live in fear someone else will.

We're redoing the kitchen and we need to decide on the stove asap.... so I can turn it on and burn off fumes when the parrots are off premises.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
sounded like an interesting idea to me and when I googled it, there are a lot of complaints that it doesn't work and there is a class action suit against Whirlpool.
so sounds like it doesn't work but if anyone uses it there might be no harm? It sounds to me like it softens the crud with water, then you have to wipe it away.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Which is all a bird person wants! Soft stuff to remove!

Hubby said just soak it with water.... better than what I have now!

Now..... off to figure out what convection is and if I can live with that...,

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Does anyone have one of these?

I briefly read that the self clean feature is 200 degrees with water? Would that be safe for birds since we generally use oven hotter than that?

@saroj12 @Macawnutz @JLcribber @Hankmacaw

Sorry, I'm just anxious.

heya @Clueless, how about calling Whirlpool to double check on the temperature and if there are fumes at all? Sounds safe to me, but get it right from the source.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
heya @Clueless, how about calling Whirlpool to double check on the temperature and if there are fumes at all? Sounds safe to me, but get it right from the source.
Yep. Will do. Just hoped that someone else would have already been there, done that.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Which is all a bird person wants! Soft stuff to remove!

Hubby said just soak it with water.... better than what I have now!

Now..... off to figure out what convection is and if I can live with that...,

Convection is fine. All that means is that it has a fan inside the oven to blow the heat around. Cooks faster and more even. It's a common feature seen in restaurant equipment (decades).

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
convection is OK. I had to replace a double oven a few years ago, and I got one convection and one "old style".
The convection definitely preheats a LOT faster. I have to say I don't see a lot of difference in the cooking times.
The noise of the fan bothers me and the fan runs after you turn the oven off until the oven is cooled, so the noisy fan running annoys me because I try to listen to the radio when in the kitchen and the refrig already makes enough noise. So I tend to use the regular oven more but it's because of fan noise.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
oh, and if you can get an induction cooktop, do it! They are wonderful. I love mine so much!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
oh, and if you can get an induction cooktop, do it! They are wonderful. I love mine so much!
Me too. Just renovated and I couldn't be happier with my induction cooktop. It is as responsive as a gas cooktop, with the the clean slick look of a ceramic cooktop. Although your cooking vessels have to have a certain feature in the base, it appears that all of my existing pots and pans were of the right type, so I didn't need anything new. Depending on your pots/pans, you might. Here's a link Induction cooking - Wikipedia

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Me too. Just renovated and I couldn't be happier with my induction cooktop. It is as responsive as a gas cooktop, with the the clean slick look of a ceramic cooktop. Although your cooking vessels have to have a certain feature in the base, it appears that all of my existing pots and pans were of the right type, so I didn't need anything new. Depending on your pots/pans, you might. Here's a link Induction cooking - Wikipedia
If you can make a magnet stick to the bottom of the pot/pan it will work with induction.
It is very responsive...temperature changes are instant, and the top cools down quickly and will not even come on unless there's a pan there. The bottoms of your pans don't get yucky brown or the stovetop either. AND I love that if something over boils out of the pot, you just wipe it up immediately. You can use a paper towel or whatever because the stovetop is not hot enough to catch it on fire. But it still heats up to boiling much quicker than other stoves if you want it to.

google "I love my induction cooktop"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If you can make a magnet stick to the bottom of the pot/pan it will work with induction.
It is very responsive, and the top cools down quickly and will not even come on unless there's a pan there.
I forgot to mention the magnet test - but yes that's how you can tell now (before you buy an induction cooktop) if your existing pots and pans will work. Most packaging on new cookware will indicate somewhere if it's suitable for induction cooking, but it's also so easy to pop a fridge magnet in your wallet or purse to test the pan yourself before you buy.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I keep my oven clean by not using it. Just needs a good dusting every 5 years or so.... Wish I had an opinion but do not. I did buy a self cleaning oven before Louise and I thought something was terribly wrong because of the horrid smell when I put it on self-clean...I turned it off and have never self cleaned again. I don't bake much so it stays clean.. :/ good luck with your research and new oven!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think I like the aqua lift design. If I don't use it with the heat option, I can still soak the cherry or Apple juices off the bottom of the stove.

The glass door can just be cleaned the old fashioned way.

I think we'll just do it and get it done.

(Should have moved rather than do this update stuff)

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think I like the aqua lift design. If I don't use it with the heat option, I can still soak the cherry or Apple juices off the bottom of the stove.

The glass door can just be cleaned the old fashioned way.

I think we'll just do it and get it done.

(Should have moved rather than do this update stuff)
No, if you'd moved you'd be stuck with the oven the old owner or builder chose. This way there's lots of stress on the way, but you end up with what you want. The oven that YOU want with the cleaning system YOU want. We just renovated the whole of the ground floor (which included kitchen, laundry, downstairs shower/toilet room, lounge, family and rumpus) plus 2 upstairs bathrooms and repainted throughout the whole house. At times we were tearing our hair out. We had weeks and weeks with just one working tap in the whole house and at least one week where we had to take a shower at the gym - but it was worth it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@TWR

You're right. Back to the search....