• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help -my african grey is afraid and won't come out of it

Geddybird

Moving in
I have a 12 year old African Grey Timneh. No other owner but me. Never afraid of anything. Last year he became afraid of everything for about three weeks. Took him to VET. Did a cursory physical on him and found nothing wrong. After about three weeks he was back to his old self. This year, right around same time (July), he started becoming afraid again. It is still going on two months now. Afraid to walk across his cage, afraid to come out of his cage, growls and screeches like someone is killing him. When I do get him physically out of his cage at times he will sit on my shoulder and act like everything is fine. Then he will start up again with his growling and screeching I have changed up his perches thinking this is the problem. I have covered his cage part way in hopes this would calm him down. I am hand feeding him because he won't get over to his food dish to eat. Just in the last couple of days I have noticed from his poop that he is walking on the perches now. The vet and I thought it was a hormonal thing last year, and when he got back to normal, didn't think anything more about it. But now that it happened again, and right around the same time as last year, but going on for much longer. I am at a loss on what to do for him. Anyone out there with suggestions??

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That sounds like a total mystery. Do you possible have a second cage you can put him in?

@Greycloud

Geddybird

Moving in
That is my next step. I have a smaller carrying cage with just a couple of perches. I will transfer him in there this weekend if no change. I have another grey that is just fine. I was reading up on the hormonal aspect and articles indicate that the African Greys do begin to experience hormonal behavior between the ages of 10 and 12. Although I have never heard of this being frightened of everything scenario being a part of hormonal behavior, so I am at a loss. It is so weird that he presented this exact thing last year. Thanks for connecting. I will let you know if changing the cage makes a difference.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Welcome. Is there something new in his cage or something different surrounding it? They can be afraid of the silliest things.

Geddybird

Moving in
Nothing had changed in his life when he began this behavior back in July, just as nothing had changed in his life when he presented same behavior last year around same time. Last year it was over a three week period and this year it has gone on for two months now. It is just really crazy. He is just the sweetest bird. And it's like he wants to engage but he is totally afraid to come out of his cage. I can reach my hand inside and he will get up on my finger but as I am taking him out he will grab the inside perch and pull himself back in. I tell you....I am really scratching my head on this on and I have had birds for twenty years.

Elliott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elliott
@Gettybird. I’m not a vet but could it be hormonal. I would say leave him alone but you said he is not eating- you cannot ignore that. Did anything scare him that you can remember. Maybe someone new coming to visit you- anything at all? Hope he recovers back to his normal self❤

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is there anything new outside this time of year? New foliage, migrating birds, etc. that he can see? I hope he goes back to his old self soon!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could be hormonal or something could have scared him. You can't always figure out what frightens them. In fact it could be something that isn't even new and for some reason your bird is suddenly afraid of it. Hope that he will get over this soon.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
You said July, could it be the AC? Not sure when or if you turn one on at that time but July is usually one of the hotter months. The change in weather patterns has been crazy the past couple of years. My girl's hormones went crazy when she turned 10 and have just settled down this year where she didn't start pulling out all her feathers around June/July. (She turned 14 in June) This year instead she wouldn't go to bed unless I partially covered her cage because the AC was blowing on her at night. Mind you it's been blowing on her for the past 4 years the same way but for some reason this year she decided she was cold and needed to be covered.

I would suggest you treat him like he was a new bird coming into your home and do what you can to make him feel safe and secure. Talk to him and slowly work with him till he's back to his old self. Maybe move his cage to a different area as well. Could be as simple as a shadow from something spooking him even if it's not visible the majority of the time.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Another suggestion you may have tried already is to move his cage to a new location and rearrange the interior. Perhaps this will help

Last edited:

Geddybird

Moving in
Thank you all for your responses. Great ideas all around. And some confirmations of what I was already thinking. I will keep you all posted. And in response to Elliott. My Grey is eating. He is just fearful of walking across his cage to get his food so I bring the food to him and he eats just fine. Isn't this just the craziest thing. I am more inclined to think it is hormonal and will just try to baby him for awhile, change him to a smaller cage, and maybe put the covers on him earlier at night. Glad I signed up to this site.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm so sorry you are going through this! My Timneh turned 14 in December and I honestly don't know that I've ever seen any hormonal behavior in him. He's a really outgoing personality and is very strong minded so a bit different from your guy. I don't have any advice for you except to just try to change his cage around to make it easier for him to eat without having to go where he seems uncomfortable or maybe try a smaller cage and just observe what seems to set off the phobic behavior and try to avoid it or remove it. My heart breaks for you!

Geddybird

Moving in
Hey guys,
I posted in the welcome page last week as a new member - talking about my 12 year old African grey who has been freaking out for the last couple of months, and not being able to figure out why. I think I figured this out. His cage is near a window on the side of house where there have been trees since I brought him home 12 years ago. I took those trees out at the end of July and my neighbor decided to build a big studio shed at the very same time, so lots of noise, lots of stimuli that he did not have before, and we now have several deer who walk on that side daily that he had not seen before. All of this caused him an enormous amount of stress. The other birds in the same room were not affected since they are not near this particular window. So now I have moved him into a smaller cage, in the dining room where he does seem to be comfortable but is not willing to venture out. It will probably take me some time but now that I know what I am dealing with, I think all of us are doing better. It will just take him some time and we will just have to take some baby steps with his comfort zone. I did not realize how traumatic this was for him. He has always been open for anything, but this was too much of a change, poor guy. Anyway, want to thank all those who responded.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad you figured it out, and I hope he's back to normal soon!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If this is the same CAG that you posted about having atherosclerosis, don't discount that the bird may be having pain from the atherosclerosis or other issues. The bird won't be able to figure out why he has pain and could be blaming it on you.