• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for disabled bird cage setup ideas

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hello everyone...I was hoping to get some ideas for how to set up a cage for a medium-sized bird who can't use their feet. Any photos or tips you have would be much appreciated. I searched through old threads, but many contain broken or missing images. Thanks in advance!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Someone here recently posted about using a critter nation cage for a special needs bird. It looked like a really nice setup. Unfortunately I can't remember who posted it. If I can dig it up for you I'll posted it here :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Platforms are a good idea. You can also add ramps for climbing. Keep food and water dishes low for easier access. Pad the bottom of the cage with layers of paper towels or non-pilling fleece. Choose a cage that is wider than it is high.

Spee, my sparrow, does not have use of either of his legs but one of his feet can grip although not to climb or perch. Recently, though, he is even having issues with that. :( He has a perch on the bottom of the cage and although he doesn't perch he does put his good foot on it. He also has layers of paper towels on the bottom. His food and water dish are on the bottom of the cage. He has a small bowl padded with paper towels that he can sit in/rest in. He also has an inverted dish covered with a paper towel where he can pull himself up a little bit and sometimes he will even pull himself up on top of it. I've tried platforms with him but he is afraid of those and won't use them. Even tried some small ramps but he was also fearful of those.

What kind of bird are you setting up this cage for?

Last edited:

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Thanks!

I was looking into a Critter Nation, actually, or one section of a double stack flight cage. The bird is a galah cockatoo who has lost the use of her feet due to previous infections and nerve damage. She rests on her hocks but cannot grip/perch. She gets around on flat surfaces fine by hobbling around and using her beak, so I was going to do platforms, ramps, etc. I was hoping to see some good layout ideas.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Critter nation cages are wonderful!!!! I highly recommend them, I use them to raise or heal young/injured wildlife :)

I bet they would be good for a disabled bird as well with some modification...