• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken leg

Jacklyn

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a Quaker parrot that broke its leg Monday took it to the vet they did surgery cleaned it up and splinted it had to go back today for check up and now they are saying it has no circulation in its foot but they checked that after took the splint off I get back home squeeze the birds toe and it tries to bite and they are wanting to amputate the leg shouldn't they have checked circulation while the leg was still splinted

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Oh, no.
While I have not had that happened to my boys, my feeling is that it could have been avoided.
I am sorry this happened to you baby.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If his leg hasn't been amputated, I would question the vet as to why your Quaker appears to feel your squeezing his toe(s). Does your bird's foot feel warm at all when you touch it and/or can he move any toes? You are your bird's voice so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask them.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Confused here, he broke his leg Monday and the splint is off already? He needs that splint for 6 weeks,and it' possible to lose feeling if nerves were damaged or the splint was too tight. That bone is not healed after 3 days,,go to another vet and never ever go back to that first one. He needs to be re-splinted, or that bone will get worse.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your Quaker. Have you considered getting a second opinion from another vet?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You need a 2nd opinion, red flag on the vet