• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am adopting a 3 year old HH! :D

Mallie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I am so excited! I have been looking for a HH for a long time. I am in Canada and Hawk Heads are pretty hard to come by.

He will be coming by plane next week. He is being re-homed by a reputable breeder (the HH belonged to a friend of his) of rare parrots. And I know he is going to be scared and confused about his new surroundings.

Any tips from other HH owners on transitioning him to a new home? I have a tonne of new toys for him but I don't want to overwhelm him when he arrives.

Here is a pic because I know you guys love pictures :D

Attachments

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Beautiful fid... congrats
:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
He is gorgeous!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
He's very cute!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations!

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I think hawkheads are such a unique parrot. Hope you post a lot about the wonderful journey you have with him. Congrats and can't wait to see more pictures.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
How adorbs! More pics for sure, so cute!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you everyone. Anyone have any tips on transitioning him? :xflove:
I've never met a HH, so I got nothin' other than to say What a cute face!! OMG :faint:

Do you know what foods and toys he's used to? When we were planning on adopting a bird earlier this year, I took pics of her cage & ordered as many "clone-toys" as I could to make things go smoothly for her. :shy:

Hopefully someone with HH experience will chime in here. I might be wrong, but from what I've read on the two, HH's and Greys seem like they might have similar personalities? both very bright, not always super cuddly, but extremely aware of their environments. If you don't get any HH advice, you might glance through the African Grey Alley to see if there are any tips you might use?

Regardless, he's lucky to have a new owner that cares enough to want to ease his transition and I'm sure you will make it as stress-free on him as possible. :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What a pretty lil bird I had a HH and I didn't find any difference between her and any other bird getting her to fit in I just let her take her time and didn't push her into it ...she was a sweet lil thing and I will always miss her ... Congrats :)

Mallie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I've never met a HH, so I got nothin' other than to say What a cute face!! OMG :faint:

Do you know what foods and toys he's used to? When we were planning on adopting a bird earlier this year, I took pics of her cage & ordered as many "clone-toys" as I could to make things go smoothly for her. :shy:
Thank you for the tips. That's a good idea; buying "clone toys." I will be picking him up from the airport tomorrow. Yay!

Mallie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Here he is. He is hanging out with me today. He is not afraid to try different foods. He is great at stepping up and already loves hanging out on his tree.

When we let him out of his crate when we got home we sat on the floor with him and he came right up to us.

His tail is a little messed up because he was in a large flight cage made with wire fencing.

Attachments

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
He is beautiful :)

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
He's gorgeous. It's great that he's already doing so well.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He is not afraid to try different foods. He is great at stepping up and already loves hanging out on his tree. When we let him out of his crate when we got home we sat on the floor with him and he came right up to us.
I'm happy to hear that he is not scared or confused after all. So young and fearless. :xflove: Congratulations! I look forward to hearing more about him as he settles in.

Crazy Bird Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dal
Congratulations!! My HH is also very adaptable to new places. She loves to ride in the car and gets excited when she sees her travel cage! I would advise to keep socializing him as much as possible. My female can get quite moody but she certainly lets me know so I give her space. Males may not have that issue, not sure. She is now 8 and does not accept "new" people into her world. Glad
you got him while he is still young!

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
He is gorgeous! Congratulations!!!